Wii U

Soldato
On one hand I can see why it could not be as succesful but on the other I can see a lot of potential.

Fire emblem and RPGs will be awesome for it.

Fighting games, not so much...

Associate
Iss

Er... advance wars is carbon copy of a NES game called famicom wars.

So it is :p

Well, I do know Nintendo have a few RPG's in Japan that are supposedly releasing out here eventually, that are new IP's, and this gen too. :p

Even Miyamoto's pushing for newer IP's, and perhaps we'll see them with Wii U. I wouldn't say Kid Icarus for 3DS is a new IP by any stretch, but, lol, nobody could've predicted it.

Soldato
Good, focus on it being just a god damn video game system instead of trying to do everything a PC can do.

Although using the controller for media playback would have be ideal and pretty obvious. Maybe they will go with some kind of download/streaming service like Netflix/Lovefilm just to satisfy the market.

Soldato
OP
Although using the controller for media playback would have be ideal and pretty obvious. Maybe they will go with some kind of download/streaming service like Netflix/Lovefilm just to satisfy the market.

Isn't the market already satisfied? Everyone has a pc and can use every service out there. MS are putting youtube onto their system, really? really? Come on. Thats just dumb. Is the 360/PS3 even a "games console" anymore?

Remember when game consoles played just games? What was wrong with that. Thats what you buy them for.

Soldato
Remember when game consoles played just games? What was wrong with that. Thats what you buy them for.

Probably because they couldn't fit a VCR in the console back then ;)

Consoles are an excellent platform to expand media playback, look at the PS3 and how it brought Blu-ray more to the masses, same with the PS2 and DVD as I recall. If one device can do everything then I'm all for it, and I don't think the lines between consoles and PCs are that blurred yet.

Soldato
Looks like a bit more info has come out regarding its hardware.

http://www.engadget.com/2011/06/14/wii-u-has-last-gen-radeon-inside-still-more-powerful-than-ps3-a/

Wilson based PowerPC quad core cpu, R770 based GPU (4890 ish?)

So certainly more powerful than the 360/PS3 graphically as the 360 is basically a turbo charged X1900 and the PS3 is a pimped 7800.

No the 4890 isnt R770 based its based on the R790, it seems more likely that it will be 4730/4830 based down to heat, power, cost constraints and what devs have said.

Man of Honour
Surprised they didn't include playback of DVDs and Bluray discs. I don't know many if any who have a separate Bluray player (only those who use the PS3 one).

Associate
Surprised they didn't include playback of DVDs and Bluray discs. I don't know many if any who have a separate Bluray player (only those who use the PS3 one).

Poor Wiltshire! ;)

Analysts predict next year will see sales of BluRays overtake DVDs. Plus, over at AVforums (biased, naturally) there are loads of people with Blu Ray players.

Soldato
With a "Watson" design inspired CPU and a Radeon Series 4xxx GPU. I have no doubt that the Wii-U is more than capable of exceeding 360/PS3 graphics power. Its all down to the developers to start pushing the hardware.

Yes initial software will look tame, but give it 2 years when developers get to grips with the hardware and im sure it will keep up with the next gen Xbox and PS.

If the new Xbox gets announced at E3 2012, then I can't see it launching before chrsitmas 2013.

Back
Top Bottom