• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Will 1200w be enough for a 5090?

Associate
OP
Worst case scenario - punt the current 1200w psu on, make a tidy profit and put it toward a higher rated one if needed.
Though I’d highly doubt it’ll be needed.
Tempting but 0 energy to do this lol, hopefully 1200w is enough - Psu prices are a joke tbh. I saw a 2000w psu however for £220 and was temtped GQ EVGA i believe

Soldato
even if the card uses two connectors for lets say 800w draw + 300w rest of your system your still fine, just about. I think the 5090 should be in the 450-600w range and maybe crazy overclocked under LNG using much more, which I doubt you are doing.

I would bet even a 1000w would be enough for the card, just about. The only good thing about using a over rated power supply is that its fans wont come on till much later in the power curve. So If you are using a 800w from a 1000w Power supply the fans might be audible but if you are using 800w from a 1600w power supply it might not even come on or barely.

But most modern power supplies run quite even under high loads apart from a few cheaper units.

Last edited:

G J

G J

Associate
See the post from the Blackwell thread made by Athlonxp1800 as Seasonic have listed some potential power numbers:

Associate
1200w will be plenty. I suspect they may have a slightly lower power draw for the 5090 than the 4090. It seems 12vhpwr is here to stay and they won't want a repeat of melty-gate.

In the longer term, it's very likely that at some point in the next few years, the EU will slap a limit on the power draw for PC components. GPUs may be limited to 300... 250... maybe even 200w. With the TV power draw restrictions, there were loopholes that have allowed 8k TVs to survive, but they may well have learned from those. But Nvidia, AMD and Intel should all be working to get their power draw down, or else preparing to exit one of their biggest markets.

Soldato
1200w will be plenty. I suspect they may have a slightly lower power draw for the 5090 than the 4090. It seems 12vhpwr is here to stay and they won't want a repeat of melty-gate.

In the longer term, it's very likely that at some point in the next few years, the EU will slap a limit on the power draw for PC components. GPUs may be limited to 300... 250... maybe even 200w. With the TV power draw restrictions, there were loopholes that have allowed 8k TVs to survive, but they may well have learned from those. But Nvidia, AMD and Intel should all be working to get their power draw down, or else preparing to exit one of their biggest markets.
Already confirmed by Seasonic that 5090 is 50W higher than 4090 > https://videocardz.com/newz/seasoni...h-350w-16-pin-connector-for-all-rtx-50-models

Above is a leak - though as from Seasonic' official calculator is very likely accurate.

Soldato
Well this chat is weird. 1000W will be enough for next gen as long as you got a decent PSU. It doesn't even have to be pcie5.

Edit: I never put my PSU in my bio but it's an early model of Strix 1000w with no LCD on it. It's good for 5090 6090 7090 there's literally no doubt about it.

Last edited:

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
The answer is in a quantum superposition, just don't directly observe it else you'll break entanglement and all hell will escape.

Soldato
I'd be annoyed if my 1000w wasn't enough!
I Just bought a 1000w seasonic (It was a good deal) so fingers crossed lol. Then again if I do get a 5090 I'd probably undervolt it anyway
Another one here with a 1000w Seasonic, fantastic unit. 10 year warranty so very reassuring, think I'm 3 or 4 years in so it's good for a while yet!

Sorry Guys 1000 watt PSU is just not going be enough

You guys need to buy a new 1050 watt PSU

:p

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom