Will I need a new PSU? Any recommendations?

Associate
I have an AMD 5800x and have just bought a 7900xt graphics card. I’ll also be running a custom water loop, 9 fans and 2 x M2 drives, possibly an SSD too.

I currently have a Phanteks AMP 750w PSU:

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/phanteks-amp-750w-80-plus-gold-modular-power-supply-ca-09r-pt.html

The beQuiet online calculator says I’ll be up to 80% utilised for a 750w PSU which sounds too high for comfort. On the other hand the minimum requirement from AMD for the 7900xt is 750w.

Do you think I should replace the PSU? What would be signs that my current one isn’t coping? (Apart from the obvious!)

What PSUs are currently in favour? Under £200 ideally.

Thanks, Mike

Man of Honour
I'd go for it, you made the effort/expense to buy a decent PSU, so you might as well make use of it. It would be a shame to not even try it.

TPU show a game average in their reviews now and the 5800X got 68 here and the 7900 XT 320 here. That should mean you're below 500, though spikes are always more of a concern than actual power usage with modern cards.

What would be signs that my current one isn’t coping? (Apart from the obvious!)

It'll have a hot exhaust, with a noisy fan and worst case you'll likely get shut downs if it trips, or black screens if it crashes.

If you want to make things more comfortable then you could always power limit and/or undervolt the CPU and GPU, which should have a very minimal effect on performance if you do it right.

Associate
OP
I'd go for it, you made the effort/expense to buy a decent PSU, so you might as well make use of it. It would be a shame to not even try it.

TPU show a game average in their reviews now and the 5800X got 68 here and the 7900 XT 320 here. That should mean you're below 500, though spikes are always more of a concern than actual power usage with modern cards.

It'll have a hot exhaust, with a noisy fan and worst case you'll likely get shut downs if it trips, or black screens if it crashes.

If you want to make things more comfortable then you could always power limit and/or undervolt the CPU and GPU, which should have a very minimal effect on performance if you do it right.
Thanks. Those game averages are interesting; more real life than the calculators. Although I tried a couple more of the calculators and they all seem to show I’ll be at the upper end of safe, so should be ok but I’ll keep an eye on it and see how the PSU handles it.

Like you say it’s a decent PSU so should be able to deliver what it claims.

I can reuse it in my son’s pc if not anyway.

Back
Top Bottom