• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Will I notice a difference?

Soldato
I've just got word from OCUK that my 7800GT that went bang is being replaced with a new 7900GTO. I know the 7900GTO is just a downtuned GTX that can be clocked to hell and back whilst still retaining a lifetime warranty... but I had my 78's in SLI so the remaining card is now unusable. Am I likely to notice any difference at all between the new card and the SLI cards I had before?

Soldato
I would have thought the two 7800GT's would have the slight edge here.

They were quite pokey cards, IIRC, and although not as fast as the GTX, I would have thought 2 of them would just be able to outperform it.

That's assuming you can SLi them long enough without them failing, LOL. :p :)

Man of Honour
A GTO is just slightly slower than a GTX. So an SLI GT setup will be a lot quicker. You could consider selling the remaining GT and put the monty towards a GX2 or 8800 GTS instead?

Associate
Or sell your remaining 7800GT and put the money towards another GTO.

7800GT's are still going for £90-£100 second hand, costing you approx £80 to make the step up to 7900GTO SLI.

Associate
Bizarre said:
Or sell your remaining 7800GT and put the money towards another GTO.

7800GT's are still going for £90-£100 second hand, costing you approx £80 to make the step up to 7900GTO SLI.

That just what I was about to suggest :D

Soldato
OP
But is there really much point spending another £80 to go SLI again when the cards aren't DX10 compatible and I'll only need to upgrade again in a few months when DX10 games start to appear?

I might just flog the 78 and use the money to "step-up" the GTO, assuming you can do it on this side of the pond (I've only read it on US sites), in a month or 2 :D

Soldato
OP
silversurfer said:
No one is going to have to upgrade because of dx10, dx9 will be around for years yet just like 7 and 8 have been

I realise this, and I know my cards will run just fine because DX10 can emulate a version of DX9 and all that... but to be honest if the new games I want to play are needing DX10 to run I don't want to slow them down playing them with a DX9 card. I know it can be done, though I'm yet to see how well, but I'd much rather get a card designed for the job.

Just gotta hope a DX10 game comes out within the next 90 days now ;)

Soldato
Cyanide said:
But is there really much point spending another £80 to go SLI again when the cards aren't DX10 compatible and I'll only need to upgrade again in a few months when DX10 games start to appear?

I might just flog the 78 and use the money to "step-up" the GTO, assuming you can do it on this side of the pond (I've only read it on US sites), in a month or 2 :D

You've got to be mad to upgrade for just the DirectX support.

2x7900GTO = 1x8800GTX

Only you've just saved yourself £150. I say go for it, no doubt.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom