• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Will this CPU still work with my current motherboard....little confused...!!

Associate
Hello.

Apologies for what will probably be a simple question for some of the more knowledgable people on here, but unfortunately I'm not one of them!!

I built my PC a few years ago and even back then didn't opt for anything crazy so fancy giving it a little upgrade now but don't want/need the latest and greatest.

My current motherboard is this one...

MSI B450 TOMAHAWK

and my CPU is an AMD Ryzen 5 2600

Just to give me a bit of an upgrade and not have to swap the motherboard/memory etc I'm wondering if I could stick one of these in...

I can see its also a socket AM4 like my current one and motherboard socket but not sure what gen the other CPU is and if I'll have to mess about with anything else or if it'll be a simple swap?

Thanks for any help. :)

Soldato
I can see its also a socket AM4 like my current one and motherboard socket but not sure what gen the other CPU is and if I'll have to mess about with anything else or if it'll be a simple swap?

Thanks for any help. :)
It will but you'll probably need to update the BIOS on your motherboard first in order for it to be supported.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Thanks for the replies both and great to see it will work :D

Do I just need to download the BIOS update from the MSI website and update it that way. As I say I'm not the most technical with all this stuff :confused:

Associate
OP
Sorry for so many questions...

Is there a specific update to allow me to do this or should I just install the latest update (7C02v3I) and it'll have everything on?

Many thanks again

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom