Willy waving thread: show us your laptops!

Associate
Can I just ask why you guys all keep on the little windows/ati etc stickers?

I like 'em. I'll rip those huge things that cover the palmrest with all the detailed specs right off, but those little stickers for W7 and friends look pretty nice. Also, if you take them off you can often see the outline of where they used to be and it can look a little odd.

Dell XPS M1330

All the above laptops seem to be small ships rather than laptops! Not sure I'd want to put any on my lap! :p

Seriously, laptops are meant to be mobile computers, not portable 17" monitors. The way I see it, if you need the screen space, have a large monitor (22"/24" etc) at home/work, and the rest of the time use your laptop with its 12"-13" screen and enjoy portability.

Soldato
Is that HP any good raikiri?
I do like HP laptops, solidly built for the most part, Mines been great for nearly a year, and only cost £500, but I could do with a faster graphics card model.
What screen res does that DM4 run at, and what is the ATi card like.
It would be nice if I could get some thing like my HDX 16" with faster graphics and an iseries cpu and 1080p, I dont really want to spend HP envy money.

Seems fantastic thus far, screen is only 1366x768 but it's on a 14" panel so looks fine to me.

Seriously, laptops are meant to be mobile computers, not portable 17" monitors. The way I see it, if you need the screen space, have a large monitor (22"/24" etc) at home/work, and the rest of the time use your laptop with its 12"-13" screen and enjoy portability.

I agree, reason I got mine. Perfect combination of speed, portability and battery life. Looks pretty nice too.

Associate
P1010211.jpg

P1010212.jpg

And Acer 5310 I brought cheap with broken screen and fixed ready to resell

P1010214.jpg

Intel celeron M 520 processor (1.6ghz 533mhz 1MB L2Cache)
intel Graphics Media Accelerator 950
2GB DDR2
80GB HDD

Last edited:
Soldato
I'll take a picture tonight but yesterday I picked up the following.

£500
Medion E7124
17.3"
Intel i3 350M 2.26Ghz
3Gb DDR3
500Gb HDD
8 Cell battery
3 year warranty

Last edited:
Soldato
Apple MacBook Pro;

2.26Ghz
2GB DDR3
Nvidia 9600M
160GB 5400RPM
7hr battery

Absolutely love it, probably use it more than the main PC.
Due a storage and a RAM upgrade soon.

Last edited:
Caporegime
@amp34

Ive gone from a 13" laptop to a netbook and to a 16" desktop replacement laptop, you cant use it on your lap for long periods as it will burn, but I like it so much better as you get the benefits of a desktop, speed, screen size and graphics power given enough cash, and you can carry it around and get a few hours off the battery, I will never buy a desktop again.

I would have kept the netbook but I found my mobile phone to be great replacement for it, ie quick look up of stuff using voice search or a quick game or msn etc

I could never live without a desktop, I need the space and power but I would now never be able to live without a laptop either. The laptop needs to be small so I can use it as a laptop though... :p

Mine's slimmmer and lighter than yours ;)

Arguably... ;)
Either way I wasn't really talking about you. :p

Associate
I have a Toshiba M750-12G (with built in 3g internet)
showimagex.jpg

Insurance replacement for my M700 which I spilt something on after a night out:
7079img2146s.jpg

That one still works, aside from the wireless and the fact that it thinks it has no battery (but it still works, charges etc, just wont show condition).

New one has:
P8700 2.53ghz
2gb RAM
250gb HDD
Intel 4500MHD
Wireless-N
Bluetooth
5 hrs battery :D
3g Internet
Fingerprint reader
12.1" Touch screen

Last edited:
Associate
^Is that holder thing that's propping up the MBP designed for that purpose, or does it just fit? Seems like an accident waiting to happen.

aww that Toshiba M750 looks cool! Friend of mine has Toshiba Satellite from a few years ago; looks just like that but without the tablet features. I guess Toshiba thought they wouldn't try to fix the design if it wasn't broken.

Soldato
Can I just ask why you guys all keep on the little windows/ati etc stickers?

Same reason people keep the badges on their cars. What's the harm?

Actually did I not read somewhere that Dell were not going to bother with the stickers as it actually slows down the manufacturing process

Unlikely really, the stickers tend to be an actual requirement by the CPU/GPU manufacturers, you'd be surprised by how much strict policy there is regulating their use.

Associate
Same reason people keep the badges on their cars. What's the harm?

Mine are actually wonky, drives me nuts sometimes! Haven't the heart to take them off though...

Unlikely really, the stickers tend to be an actual requirement by the CPU/GPU manufacturers, you'd be surprised by how much strict policy there is regulating their use.

Indeed, most venders pay for the "ad-space" that the stickers take up.

AMD don't make it compulsory though, and are introducing stickers which peel off easier.

Soldato
Dell XPS M1530 here.

DELL_XPS_M1530.jpg

Use it instead of a desktop PC, had it 2 years now. Bought it from the outlet for £550 (RRP was £1,150) and could not rate it highly enough.

Core 2 Duo @ 2.4GHz
Windows 7
nVidia 8600M GT
4GB DDR2
250GB HDD
Fingerprint reader (actually very useful)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom