Willy waving thread: show us your laptops!

Soldato
sysb.jpg

Beast:

I7 2720QM ES (8mb cache, 3ghz 8 thread turbo) @ 3.133ghz 8 thread turbo
1920x1080 15.6" LED backlit LCD
GTX560M @ 860/1720/1800
8GB Kingston Hyper-X 1600mhz 9-9-9-21
2x64GB Crucial M4 SSD Raid 0
Bigfoot Killer-N wirless 1102
Bluray drive

Last edited:
Soldato
Do you have a link for more info about that upgrade please? The GPU in this is what is putting me off.

Thanks,

G

It has a fully interchangeable MXM-B slot.

You can install an HD6990M in it with an HD5870 mobility heatsink (with a little bit of modding) OR you can install a GTX570M or GTX580M with the heatsink from the GT683DXR.

Soldato
My Dell Studio has been a cracking machine but with it coming up to 3 years old, I was hankering after a bit more power. It also had a 17" display which while being lovely to look at, made it a bit big and heavy to sit on my lap.

Did quite a bit of reading which involved me changing my budget a couple of times but after having no look finding any i7 versions in stock, settled for a Sandybridge i5 variant of one of these.

asus_1.jpg

asus_2.jpg

It's an Asus N55SF.

Core i5 2430M CPU
6GB DDR3 RAM
640gb HDD
nVidia GT555M 2GB GPU
15.6" LED backlit display @ 1600x900

Despite the extra processing power, it's considerably thinner than the Dell. The screen is beautiful and it's very fast. I'm not bothered about running the latest games at the highest resolution so hopefully it should keep me happy for a number of years.

Last edited:
Associate
It's an Asus N55SF.

Core i5 2430M CPU
6GB DDR3 RAM
640gb HDD
nVidia GT555M 2GB GPU
15.6" LED backlit display @ 1600x900

Despite the extra processing power, it's considerably thinner than the Dell. The screen is beautiful and it's very fast. I'm not bothered about running the latest games at the highest resolution so hopefully it should keep me happy for a number of years.

Ive just bought one of these as of 2 days ago - how are you finding yours? I havent found too much info on these as they dont seem that popular. Im not sure why though as they seem amazing value for money.

Soldato
I've only had mine since Wednesday so am still finding out its perks but so far the only real gripe I have is the hard disk.

The 5400rpm drive really really lets the machine down IMO. Installing Windows 7 SP1 last night and the machine was unusable for about 30 minutes with the HDD light on solid for that time. I'm sure the Dell wasn't as slow as that.

I do miss the firewire port and dual HDD bays that my old Dell had but I did discover that the Asus had bluetooth which was a bonus. The Bang & Olufsen speakers (I have no idea why B&O would put their name to some laptop speakers) are pretty good for speech and special effects but pretty sucky for music, even with the external 'subwoofer'. Not a huge issue for me as I have the laptop connected to a hi-fi amp but I expected better.

Overall though, apart from the slow hard disk, I'm very happy. The screen is excellent, the keyboard feels nice to use and the laptop overall feels pretty well built.

I've got to agree though, I couldn't find much with this spec for the money. Before I settled for this machine, I was looking at another Asus laptop with a Gen2 i7, 8GB RAM, 750gb 7200rpm HDD, GT550M and 1080p display for £850.

Sadly the shop was unable to secure any stock but IMO, that was one hell of a spec for the money. I paid £700 for this which seemed like good value.

Last edited:
Associate
I've only had mine since Wednesday so am still finding out its perks but so far the only real gripe I have is the hard disk.

The 5400rpm drive really really lets the machine down IMO. Installing Windows 7 SP1 last night and the machine was unusable for about 30 minutes with the HDD light on solid for that time. I'm sure the Dell wasn't as slow as that.

I do miss the firewire port and dual HDD bays that my old Dell had but I did discover that the Asus had bluetooth which was a bonus. The Bang & Olufsen speakers (I have no idea why B&O would put their name to some laptop speakers) are pretty good for speech and special effects but pretty sucky for music, even with the external 'subwoofer'. Not a huge issue for me as I have the laptop connected to a hi-fi amp but I expected better.

Overall though, apart from the slow hard disk, I'm very happy. The screen is excellent, the keyboard feels nice to use and the laptop overall feels pretty well built.

I've got to agree though, I couldn't find much with this spec for the money. Before I settled for this machine, I was looking at another Asus laptop with a Gen2 i7, 8GB RAM, 750gb 7200rpm HDD, GT550M and 1080p display for £850.

Sadly the shop was unable to secure any stock but IMO, that was one hell of a spec for the money. I paid £700 for this which seemed like good value.

Cheers for the reply, good info. BTW I managed to find an i7-2670 version for £750 at comets, but they were selling out fast.

I havent really listened to the sound - I always use earphones or headphones.

I agree about the HD - it is slow. My old latptop had 5400rpm as well, so I dont notice it as much.

Down the line I might consider one of those Seagate Momentus 7200rpm/SSD hybrid drives to swap out for the factory one.

Soldato
You were lucky with the i7. The shop I bought mine from didn't have any i7 machines in any of the local stores but tbh, coming from a 2GHz C2D and aging ATi Mobility Radeon, I was sure that this machine would be a worthwhile upgrade.

I've been using it for the last couple of hours and am really starting to like it. The keyboard is very nice to use (although does look a little cheap), the touchpad is great and it's not been uncomfortable to have it sitting on my lap.

The main reason for the new laptop was to consolidate several different machines into one. I will be running a number of VMs on it at once so I'll see how the hard disk copes but with general use, it's not noticeable.

Associate
Here are mine (Excluding my K6-2 one!)

Left to right:

Samsung NC10:
  • Intel Atom N270 @ 1.6gHz
  • 1gb DDR2 RAM
  • 80gb SATA HDD
  • 10.1" LCD (1024x600)
  • Android 4.0 Honeycomb (Need to work on increasing the display resolution)

Lenovo ThinkPad L512 (Main Laptop)
  • Intel Core i5 430M @ 2.26gHz
  • 4gb DDR3 RAM
  • 320gb SATA HDD @ 5400RPM
  • 15.6" LCD (1366x768)
  • Windows 7 Professional 64bit

Apple MacBook A1181 (2006)
  • Intel Core 2 Duo T7200 @ 2.0gHz
  • 1.5gb DDR2 RAM
  • 160gb SATA HDD
  • 13.3" LCD (1280x800)
  • MacOS 10.6
  • Broken Battery
  • Broken charging circuit on Logic Board
  • Broken Combo Drive

And Apple Fanboys say that "Macs never break" - Well, this has never been mistreated and has all these problems - Oh and apple tried to charge over £70 to see how much it would cost to repair - I walked out!

I tend not to use laptops - Prefer using my desktop (Specs in signature) but I need to use my ThinkPad in school for work in Visual Studio 2010.

Soldato
OP
Revival! Just picked myself one of these for cheap:

DSC_0106.jpg

HP 2510p, U7600 CPU, 12.1" screen, integrated DVD-RW, 2GB RAM and 60GB HDD. Not my main machine, but for the size it packs enough punch for Web browsing, simple gaming etc.

Amazing for it's size, highly recommended!

Soldato
suprised to see so many laptops running windows on here. A laptop is an ideal platform for linux imho

Compared to desktops, they're worse. My experiences with arch on my laptop was pretty negative compared to the one that runs on my desktop, laptops involve a whole load of extra configuration regarding power usage/saving, function keys, trackpads (I.e multitouch).

It works fine, it just takes more effort.

Associate
Not really, it all depends on the user. Those who are familiar with Windows won't try Linux unless out of curiosity or being "advised" by a friend

I tried it with a spare lappy I had. The install and update process was great.

Then I had to update something like flash player, and was presented with nothing that I could simply click and have it work. Nor could I find a file that I could just download then run.

I did about 20 mins reading, and saw countless suggestions to run command line stuffs and just gave up, formatted it and put Win7 back on.

I'm sure its great if you've got time to learn a new OS from scratch, but I didn't at the time, so it got canned.

Associate
suprised to see so many laptops running windows on here. A laptop is an ideal platform for linux imho

I was more surprised by how many use windows 7 with the taskbar buttons with no label's and (probably combined too). The proper taskbar on my Vista rig is one of the main reasons I prefer it to any of the Windows 7 computers I use or my laptop.

@Tobeornottobe
Liking the Clevo P150HM, pretty much the spec I may be getting on in (including the matte screen) in the near future.

Associate
@Tobeornottobe
Liking the Clevo P150HM, pretty much the spec I may be getting on in (including the matte screen) in the near future.

If you do, get it with the cheapest HDD and then get the SSD/2nd drive cheaper elsewhere.

The Clevo P150HM is great, I particularly like that it hasn't got gaudy decals and flashing lights so is not out of place anywhere, and doesn't scream 'steal me'. The 95% matt screen is well worth it. The weakest point is a slightly cheap keyboard, but it's not too bad.

Soldato
2012-01-23154433.jpg

Clevo P170HM
Intel I7 2760QM
8GB DDR1600
HD1 M4 128GB SSD
HD2 WD 500GB 7200RPM
Radeon 6990M

Apologies for the crap pic and more importantly the horrific carpet, Military housing for you!

Associate
Loving those Clevo laptops! Any chance of some more pics?

I am thinking of buying one, can't decide between the 15 and 17 inch.

Neither are particularly portable, so not sure if I should get the larger screen...

Any news on a Clevo refresh coming up?

Would love a backlit keyboard for example.

Back
Top Bottom