Win a house competitions - Omaze etc..

Caporegime
I remember an early one of these, some bloke had a decent size house and fishing facilities/small holiday chalets in the back garden, worth approx £1 million so he raffled it, someone won.

Since then there have been loads of the things and in plenty of cases they're not necessarily run very well and no one wins the grand prize anyway, instead, a cash alternative is offered because the target isn't hit and the organiser pockets a 25% admin fee or something along those lines...

Omaze seem to be offering something different in that they both guarantee a prize and they promote their house draws along with a charity, the charity (usually a major one) promotes it on their social media pages and apparently gets 80% of the "net" proceeds... They've also solved the issue of having to allow for free entries, purchasing options involve multiple tickets whereas "free" entries involve a single entry and the cost of a stamp and post card make the free entry (on a per-entry basis) more expensive than simply buying your entries.

On one hand this seems like a much better prospect for people who might want to enter these house draw things, there actually is a guaranteed prize. Does make me wonder though, are they really just taking 20%?

Obvs they probably deduct the costs of administering the competition, and of course the cost of acquiring the house and the intermediary prizes (they give away flashy cars intermittently in draws for earlier ticket purchases) but do they get another source of revenue here?

The houses seem to be slightly ambitious in their valuation for example - the Fulham house they held a draw for a few months ago had a claimed valuation for £3 million but is currently on the market for £2.85 and might well get sold for less than that. The Devon house reportedly had a flooding issue...

I wonder if they get some sort of fee from the owner of the house? Are these houses that didn't sell initially on the open market? Do they actually buy the house themselves or do they do a deal with the owner.

I mean ostensibly you could go to some owner/developer of a £2-£3 million pound home that hasn't sold and do a deal where you'll either guarantee a price for them or give them a bracketed price (based on ticket sales) and take a commission out of their end too... then set that as part of your "costs" from which you then give the charity 80%?

I'm not knocking it per see, it seems like a neat competition, but I'd be interested if anyone knows how it works from that end?

Has anyone actually won any of the houses. That cotswold house was rinsed and rinsed about the flooding. I remember reading all the comments on Facebook omaze threads about the hope that they win but in reality most people couldn't afford the upkeep, council tax etc and so would sell up.

If you spent £100 winning it, the sold it even for £500k you're well up.

Has anyone actually won any of the houses.

Yeah, they announce the winners on the site and film some video where they "surprise" them. not sure they've announced that latest one yet though.

That cotswold house was rinsed and rinsed about the flooding. I remember reading all the comments on Facebook omaze threads about the hope that they win but in reality most people couldn't afford the upkeep, council tax etc and so would sell up.

If you spent £100 winning it, the sold it even for £500k you're well up.

I dunno, they're not all that big, I don't think people realise that council tax doesn't go up very much. Certainly, the previous London one wasn't much different in size to a normal family home outside London. The bigger issue is perhaps that someone from say Manchester isn't necessarily going to want to move to London or Devon etc.. and so just wants the money.

If a prize was only worth 500k though then people would have a legit complaint as you're entering on the basis that it was worth (2 million or so IIRC?).

I wonder how the capital gains tax would be worked out on that? (and, come to think of it, how would the stamp duty be worked out when you win the house?)

They pay for the stamp duty, that will be one of the (variable) costs they have depending on whether the prize winner is already a homeowner.

Not sure about GCT, if you don't already have a home then it's a bit moot but if it is a second home and you can claim it's lost value then maybe you could use it to offset some gains from other investments.

Not sure about GCT, if you don't already have a home then it's a bit moot but if it is a second home and you can claim it's lost value then maybe you could use it to offset some gains from other investments.

I meant more in terms of selling it immediately. If you've paid £100 for your competition entry and win (I don't think there's any tax due at this point?) but then you immediately sell it, the value of the asset hasn't changed but you didn't pay the value of it. Have you made a gain for tax purposes when you sell it? I don't suppose you really care much anyway!

I meant more in terms of selling it immediately. If you've paid £100 for your competition entry and win (I don't think there's any tax due at this point?) but then you immediately sell it, the value of the asset hasn't changed but you didn't pay the value of it. Have you made a gain for tax purposes when you sell it? I don't suppose you really care much anyway!

There is no GCT to be paid simply for winning the prize. CGT is applicable if it is not your primary residence and it appreciates in value.

There is no GCT to be paid simply for winning the prize. CGT is applicable if it is not your primary residence and it appreciates in value.

No, I don't mean at the point you win but if you sell it soon after you've won.
You pay £100 for an entry.
You win a £500,000 house (and don't pay any tax when you receive it. You also own a house so this is a second property)
You sell the house for £500,000
Did you make a taxable gain?

You win a £500,000 house (and don't pay any tax when you receive it. You also own a house so this is a second property)

That would only be if the house went up I think, say you won it at £500k, and it went up to £550k.

Yeah so the price you paid for an entry isn't relevant, there is no GCT to pay on the prize!

What gain have you made if you sell if for what it is worth? You won something worth 500k, there is no CGT to pay on that prize, you sell that 500k asset for 500k - where is the gain in value?

The Devon house I thought was hideous. You would want to sell it straight away. All open plan with massive windows so you could see everything inside. Would not like to keep that clean. The advert for it was super smarmy too.

LOL that presenter woman! Yeah, she's irritating, comes across like a dodgy car salesperson/estate agent type.

I think it's kind of hidden though, there isn't anything overlooking it, it does seem like some of these houses were ones the owners struggled to sell, the Cotswolds one had some previous flooding issue mentioned in the press, I wonder if the design for the Devon one is a bit too marmite in terms of design or the proximity to the campsite put people off or maybe proximity to cliffs and trouble getting insurance or something?

I've not entered it (or any of them for that matter) tempted by the Wimbledon one mind. I suspect that if you did want to cash in by selling immediately you'd likely need to take a bit of a hit on the claimed valuation.

One good option with the Devon house, unlike London, is the rental potential - London yields are rather poor but that Devon house could get you £8000 a week as a holiday let. Say you rented it for 30 weeks of the year that's £240k gross, you could easily pay someone local to clean it, hand over to new guests etc.. not a bad income stream if you didn't want to immediately sell.

There was a house on our estate that was attempted to be sold through Raffal, they didn't manage to hit the ticket target, but did give 2 cash prizes of £150k to entrants. And have now put the house up on the normal market. I was gutted my ticket didn't win :D

They are a bit cheeky with the deadlines. Adverts saying you only have a few hours left to enter but that's just for that particular extra prize (usually a car). The house draw runs much longer.

Her voice and fake permanent smile is bloody annoying though :o

The Devon house I thought was hideous. You would want to sell it straight away. All open plan with massive windows so you could see everything inside. Would not like to keep that clean. The advert for it was super smarmy too.

Was that the one which looked like a giant wedge or something? couldn't say I saw the appeal. Saw 1-2 Omaze ads for nicer places though.

I don't understand why these have recently become a 'thing' - raffles for houses, cars, even rubbish like raffling off luxury pamper hampers on Facebook with people seemingly queuing up for tickets... Can anyone explain? :D

I don't understand why these have recently become a 'thing' - raffles for houses, cars, even rubbish like raffling off luxury pamper hampers on Facebook with people seemingly queuing up for tickets... Can anyone explain? :D

Same as always.
Peoples only chance to have something like that.

People always over inflate their chance of winning. You hear so often about winning. Think people are winning all over the place and don't want to FOMO.

Also. These only have one prize. At least lottery has many.

Back
Top Bottom