Win10 not showing on GRUB

Associate
Hi All,

Apologies in advance for any glaring mistakes I've made/ sheer ignorance. Trying to get Ubuntu to dual boot with Win 10.

I tried the usual disabling of SB, UEFI & FS. Went to Bios, changed boot order for USB, installed Ubuntu. I believe I had to use somewhere else, so created the partition there. Didn't see an option to make it BIOS of UEFI, so proceeded.

Boot up, no Grub menu, OK. Change HIDDEN_TIMEOUT to 15, restart and F8, get GRUB menu and there's no Win10. Do some reading and investigation and find that I've somehow installed bios instead of efi. Read a bit more, they both need to be efi. OK, change to efi in terminal. Still nope.

Starting to think this isn't possible, does anyone have a good, up-to-date, comprehensive guide on how to achieve this?

Associate
It is possible, I have a dual boot Ubuntu and Win10, both in UEFI.
You need to reinstall Linux as UEFI for it to see a Win10 UEFI loader. Just changing GRUB in terminal won't do it.
I did it by installing win10, then removing the SSD, and installing Ubuntu on a different ssd. Then I reconnect the Win10 ssd, f11 to boot to Linux (and set that drive as default), update the system because no doubt grub will have an update, then lastly I just run "sudo grub2-update" in terminal and it adds a Windows option.

Associate
Just installed Ubuntu 17.10, and it works just fine. You just need to make sure you boot the usb installer in uefi mode.
But the command was wrong in the above post, it's "sudo update-grub2"

3tpQHxD.jpg

Associate
OP
Thanks @stopper, do you think it's possible to do it on the same drive? I don't have the option for multiple drives at the moment.

Anywho, I've created a UEFI boot, which I'm going to attempt an install with now. Fingers crossed!

Associate
I prefer to keep the loader on a different drive, that way if it all goes **** up I can at least manually select from bios and boot directly to the Windows SSD.
In theory, yes it should work just fine.

Back
Top Bottom