Window 7 Genuine Copy Issue

Soldato
My laptop was recently repaired due to a faulty USB port, so Lenovo put in a new motherboard.
A week or so later I get a message that the Windows copy on my laptop is not genuine. I am guessing perhaps the hardware change may have triggered this, although since its the same motherboard I am not sure if this is 100% the case.

Anyway we called Lenovo and they say I have to reinstall the "image" W7 that came with the laptop from scratch. Is this correct?

Moreover is there any other way to get around this? I.e. calling up Microsoft themselves (I seem to remember that if you had problems with activation you could call them up and give them a product ID or something equivalent?) or is that not available for OEM versions?
Thanks.

Soldato
OP
See thats the thing I cant find the number anywhere and on the MS page it says to go through the product activation pages in the OS, but the Lenovo one takes you to a different number compared to the standard vanilla W7 pages.

Anyone know what the number is?

Soldato
look Here, Its still there even if you have already activated windows. You will need to re-enter your product key, use something like the Magic jelly bean key finder to see your current key.

Soldato
OP
Thanks Bigboy, but unfortunately as I mentioned the screen on the pages you showed are different to the screens I am getting i.e. I dont get any option to use the automated phone service or to enter my product ID/key etc. Its just 3 options:

Buy product key
Try different product key
Contact Lenovo Help

Is there any telephone number I could call?

Soldato
If you cannot enter the Change Prodkey page then no :confused: as you will need to enter a new key to get it to activate.

changekey.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
if you use the current key and try to reactivate it Microsoft's number will come up and you will be able to call them and talk to an operator.

Soldato
OP
Well I am trying to avoid reinstalling cause its just a faf at the moment.
I have just tried activating with the key and unfortunately it says "an error has occured please contact Lenovo".

There is no MS number :(

Soldato
OP
Lol funny Liquidfox :)

Anyway folks, I have managed to solve the problem. I used the key from under the laptop and it worked! (the key I got from Jellybean was different - I think its because it was an image from Lenovo). All solved now. Thanks very much for your help.

Back
Top Bottom