Windows 10 - Help stop Reboot and update / Shut down and update

Soldato
ok I know how to stop this happening in the first place, but once the options have change to "and update" how to I ensure it does not actually do that? (its a new build waiting to install if that makes a difference)

I have a machine that WILL break if the updates apply, i've been putting it to sleep for a few days, now I need to fix the problem!

I can guess at disabling the update service but if I test and it still updates the machine is broken

Anyone had this and know the answer?

Permabanned
Disabled windows update and the orchestrator services and was a me to rebook

Could you explain this a bit more? I am a bit confused but i said i will reply as i had a recent win 10 build with updates disabled procrss too. It broke my install as when i would reboot i ran a 50/50 gaunlet of a blue screen updating windows which seemed to do nothing bit waste up to 1hr 30mins of sitting there. I could and would not wrestle with this crap OS and reverted to Windows 7.

Is this the same thing? I basically had to shutdown 100% of the time, And having a pc for twenty years never seen the likes of the problems i have had since win10 1903.

Soldato
OP
Sorry it will be a different issue in reality it was build 1903 putting explorer into a crash / restart loop. It was a customers PC and I did not want to spend another 4 hours letting 1903 install and then roll it back again.

I know the fix would be a clean install but he had loads of software that would need reinstalling and no disks..

W10 is more reliable than w7 for updates I support 100s of machines

Man of Honour
W10 is more reliable than w7 for updates I support 100s of machines

Have to say I've not seen any real difference between them in terms of problems with updates - neither is a particularly smooth experience when you are supporting 100+ machines - but at least on Windows 7 it is usually easier to take control when issues do happen - some Windows 10 update issues have absorbed days at a time of my time due to the OS thinking it knows better - yes I could save a lot of time in many of these cases and just reinstall but no OS should require a complete reinstall at this kind of frequency to keep things running properly.

I spend far more time these days supporting Windows 10 than 7 post updates and that isn't due to a shift in numbers towards 10 over 7 in terms of what devices are running - one of the factors other than update related technical issues being Windows 10 moving stuff around after an update confusing less savvy users.

EDIT: Couple of things I find super frustrating with 10 - often those with the messiest OS environment for some bizarre reason are the ones that update the quickest and rarely have post update issues and multiple instances of identical hardware running off an identical deployment image will be truly random in terms of update experience on the same update (build) even running at the same time off the same updates - with not an uncommon story that one will be over and done in 10-20 minutes while the other will take like 6 hours to go through a few percent, etc.

Last edited:
Soldato
I hate WIn10 updates. chokes off my puny bandwidth and flat-out doesn't give me an option to accept or refuse updates like Win 7 does. i'm on 1803 at the mo and it flatly refuses to put 1903 on, keep going to 88% prep then failing w/ a useless error message and is now perstering me about 1909. currently in the middle of a long investigation/resolution on another board, tried many things so far and it still doesn't want 1903 to work.
oh yeah, and aside from that it's taken to downloading 550mb of nvidia updates than I don't want or need, but as above it won't give me the option to deny it.

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Why don't you just install 1909 using the Windows update/media creation tool and choose the update windows option when prompted? It's the simplest way to bypass any WU errors for whatever reason and if this way fails then there's something wrong with your system that needs solving first.

WIndows 10 update schedules might be annoying, but it's a superior OS to 7 in terms of technical capability with modern CPUs and other hardware to overall features too.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom