Windows 10 mis-recognising DVD drive as CDROM?

Soldato
I'm having a bit of a problem with my PC in that my DVDRW drive is not reading and dvds but is reading CDs fine. Looking in device manager it seems it is recognised as a CDROM and has a generic windows CDROM driver. Oddly though in the properties of the drive it does mention it's region...

From a bit of googling, it seems to be a fairly common problem but so far nothing that I've tried from the
suggestions online has worked to fix it.

I've tried:
removing the device in Device Manager and rebooting - Windows just reinstalled it exactly as it was before

Tried updating drivers but windows insists the driver that is already installed is the best one

Tried finding manufacturers drivers but it's a generic driver and I've not found anywhere with the drivers that hasn't been a spam site that's wanted me to install driver manager software etc.

Tried removing upper and lower filter entries in the registry, removing the drive from device manager and rebooting and it just reinstalls the same again.

I would just buy a new drive as I know they're not expensive but I've read various sites where people have had the same issue again once they've installed a new drive.

The drive identifies itself as a tsstcorp cddvdw sh-222ab

Has anyone else had this problem and managed to get it solved?

Back
Top Bottom