windows 10 on mac mini

Soldato
Not sure where to post this but here goes...

Is there a to install windows on an old mac mini 4,2 without using Bootcamp?

I don't want to have to install mac os as my internet connection is awful and it takes forever to install over the internet, then there's all the windows updates to do on top of that

Commissario
Which model is the 4,2? Mactracker shows a 4,1 (Mid 2010) but not a 4,2.

I've got one about that vintage which runs Windows 7 but I did that via Bootcamp to create the partition. What happens if you put a Windows disc in the drive and hold down the option key when you boot? Is it possible just to boot straight from the disc and manually partition? I've not tried it but that's got to be worth a go.

Soldato
OP
it might be a 4,1 sorry

i can choose a boot device if i hold down the option key.

i think i remember once installing windows from a usb iso and getting to the end and not being able to boot the windows partition though so just trying to avoid wasting time if thats the case.

Soldato
Good question and not sure tbh, perhaps a boot loader?

Or at the very least just install mac os on the smallest possible install, then windows on bootcamp? and then set it to always boot into windows?

Not perfect but gets around the booting issue and you'll always boot into windows?

Soldato
OP
I'm currently trying to reinstall mac os via the internet recovery and it keeps failing in the last 2 mins... cant download some esd file... think i might just try installing the windows iso and got back to installing mac os if this doesnt work (hopefully my 4g connection will be faster at that time)

Soldato
OP
so in conclusion i can verify that if you install mac os on one partition, you can without using bootcamp install windows via a usb iso to another partition and it will work fine.

i think i made the mistake last time of deleting the partition with the bootloader on it.

Back
Top Bottom