Windows 10 Pro, 2nd Profile for Work - Domain Join

Soldato
I've recently got a new PC from OC with Win 10 Pro installed on it. I set up the main profile as a M/Soft one for my home/gaming use but I'd like a second profile for work - can I set that up as a domain account?

I have a server at home running on an SMB share with a workgroup name and would like the work profile to be able to access it.

Can I do this? I just set up a second user called Work, clicked the 'I don't have their details (for a M/Soft a/c)' and it seems to have just created a local user.

What do I need to do?

Soldato
OP
So if I want the PC to be able to see the server should I start again (reset Win 10) and choose the main account as a domain one (work) and then create a second (home) profile as a local account?

Permabanned
So if I want the PC to be able to see the server should I start again (reset Win 10) and choose the main account as a domain one (work) and then create a second (home) profile as a local account?

The workstation is either on a domain or not on a domain you can't have both when you are talking about domains.

I'm not 100% sure if you can have a Microsoft account or a local account on the same machine though.

^^ These are all different things. Domain Account/Local Account/Microsoft Account.

Soldato

If all you need is access to a SMB share map the path with the domain credentials.

If you want to login with a domain account you will need to join the computer to the domain.

Is your server a Domain Controller?

Soldato
OP
If you want to login with a domain account you will need to join the computer to the domain.

Is your server a Domain Controller?

No

If all you need is access to a SMB share map the path with the domain credentials.

This sounds like what I need, how do I do that? :)

The server runs UnRaid (linux based) and it's just a file server

Soldato
In File Explorer \\servername\foldername

If you're lucky and the share permissions allow guest\anonymous read you'll see your files. Otherwise a windows should popup asking for username and password. If you don't remember the password reset or create a new account on the file server.

If a window doesn't show asking for credentials the SMB share can be mapped to a drive letter from a command prompt. Let me know if you need to do it this way.

Soldato
Ignore the above, \\servername won't work as you probably don't have a local DNS so unless you have a host file entry that says servername points to 10.x.x.x ip address, it won't work.

Instead, use \\ipaddress\sharename\foldername

Back
Top Bottom