Windows 10 "Recovery Partition"?

Capodecina
Soldato
The Windows 10 that I have just installed on an aged laptop has got an 836 MB "Recovery" partition - what is this and do I need it?

I am interested because I want to shrink the 97 GB "System" partition that comes before it in order to leave more space after it for a "Data" partition larger than the 14 GB currently available for it.

Soldato
clean install deleting all old partitions?

failing that just be sure you can fix boot issues deleting that might cause (other than boot nothing bad will happen) I've deleted those partitions loads of times

Capodecina
Soldato
OP
Diskpart commands should help if its genuinely not necessary.
Most of the online research I have done seems to suggest that the Recovery Partition is pointless - I will try deleting it with Diskpart - thanks :)

UPDATE:
Well I have now deleted the Recovery Partition using DISKPART (CMD, DISKPART, LIST, SELECT Disk #, SELECT Partition#, Delete Partition Override, Exit); rebooted; Shrunk the (remaining) "System" partition, rebooted again and so far, all seems good :)

Last edited:
Soldato
You need a 500MB recovery partition at the start of the drive typically, good luck if you ever need to get into recovery mode.
Windows 7 recovery on an upgraded windows 10 pc never works anyway. Keep the first partition and boot partition and bin anything after that.

Capodecina
Soldato
OP
Just to elaborate and to clarify my opening post:
  • I have what was a clean, unused 120 GB SSD installed in a laptop with 6 GB RAM.
  • I installed Windows 10 on this SSD.
  • It ended up with a 97 GB "System" partition, followed by an 836 MB "Recovery" partition and then some 14 GB unused space.
  • I then installed some software that is "tied" to the specific installation.
  • I have subsequently deleted the 836 MB "Recovery" partition using Diskpart.
  • The system seems to be fine.

You need a 500MB recovery partition at the start of the drive typically, good luck if you ever need to get into recovery mode.
The 836 MB "Recovery" partition was 836 MB, not 500 MB; it followed the "System" partition.
I have made an image copy of the System partition (using Acronis) and I would never, under any circumstances use Microsoft's "recovery" process - EVER!
"Luck" doesn't come into it :)

. . . Keep the first partition and boot partition and bin anything after that.
I take it that you are talking about the MBR and the "System" partition here? That is what I have done, apparently without any problem.

Last edited:
Soldato
Just to elaborate and to clarify my opening post:
  • I have what was a clean, unused 120 GB SSD installed in a laptop with 6 GB RAM.
  • I installed Windows 10 on this SSD.
  • It ended up with a 97 GB "System" partition, followed by an 836 MB "Recovery" partition and then some 14 GB unused space.
  • I then installed some software that is "tied" to the specific installation.
  • I have subsequently deleted the 836 MB "Recovery" partition using Diskpart.
  • The system seems to be fine.

The 836 MB "Recovery" partition was 836 MB, not 500 MB; it followed the "System" partition.
I have made an image copy of the System partition (using Acronis) and I would never, under any circumstances use Microsoft's "recovery" process - EVER!
"Luck" doesn't come into it :)

I take it that you are talking about the MBR and the "System" partition here? That is what I have done, apparently without any problem.
Yea then expand your main partition with any remaining free space.

Soldato
I am pretty sure that partition is used by windows if you ever run into boot issues or mid crash issues. Both are rare but it happens.

Back
Top Bottom