Windows 10

V F

V F

Soldato
Brilliant - my parents just come back from holiday and my mum starts complaining about Windows update out of the blue as they had limited internet connectivity with limited allowance that was shared with other guests at the accommodation and my dad's laptop kept trying to update and they were delaying and delaying it but eventually it just started doing it anyway. They couldn't understand why I was grinning from ear to ear.

Don't worry. It gets better.

Users of Intel Broadwell-E systems have taken to various forums and social media outlets to vent their displeasure about a new Spectre Variant 2 from Intel/Microsoft. The cause of their ire is that the patch, dubbed the Windows 10 KB4100347 update, disables any UEFI Bios overclocking settings and leaves the user's CPU humming along at default clocks. There is no way to get around this security update, except to uninstall it, in which case UEFI Bios overclocking options will work again.

https://hexus.net/tech/news/cpu/122477-windows-10-kb4100347-update-breaks-broadwell-e-overclocking/

Saracen said:
A classic example of why auto-installing updates, when MS want to, is a non-starter for me. But at least this one simply hit performance …. sometimes. What's utterly unacceptable is MS deciding I need an update, with the result being something I need, right now, not working until I've spent hours trying to work out how to un-bork my machines …. while, either a deadline looms or an editor/client is screaming at me.

No thanks, MS. Before I do any updates, I clone the drive(s) and do a dry-run on the copy. Only if everything works fine do I update a live system. And I need to do updates whrn it suits me, in a known quiet time, not when you or your systems decide my PC is “ready”.

Though it's not the only reason, that alone kills W10 for me.

Man of Honour
Don't worry. It gets better.

They are putting machine learning in the next update to fix all the update problems... the update problems they created themselves and absolutely won't be solved by machine learning...

To be fair it is a kind of neat implementation for those who do want the OS to automatically update but it completely misses (probably on purpose) the reason behind the complaints that prompted it being developed as a solution :(

Associate
You can download 1809 update from mediacreationtool and install it now a week early before it will go live on 2 October on both media creation tool and Windows Update with my guide below.

1. Download 1809 October Update products.cab: https://www.deskmodder.de/blog/wp-content/uploads/2018/09/productcab-windows-10-1809.zip
2. Download the Windows 10 Media Creation Tool: https://www.microsoft.com/software-download/windows10
3. Place “MediaCreationTool.exe” and “products.cab” in the same directory
4. From command prompt, run: MediacreationTool.exe /selfhost or PowerShell, run: .\MediacreationTool.exe /selfhost
5. The Media Creation Tool redirected to 1809 October Update links on the Windows Update servers.

Enjoy :)

Batch file on this Reddit post automates the process:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/9jbty2/mediacreationtool_for_1809_rs5/

I've just used it to update without any issues. New build is running well. Haven't run into any bugs yet, although i did have to reapply the ICC profile i usually use in Colour Management.

Soldato
Batch file on this Reddit post automates the process:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/9jbty2/mediacreationtool_for_1809_rs5/

I've just used it to update without any issues. New build is running well. Haven't run into any bugs yet, although i did have to reapply the ICC profile i usually use in Colour Management.

Thank, just test the batch file now finished downloaded 32 bit Windows 10, now installing it on both compute stick and Linx 10 tablet. Far so good on 3 devices running 64 bit Windows 10 since yesterday.

Soldato
This is shout for Winamp users, but for Windows 10 builds 1803 and above.

Is anybody using Winamp having problems with playback? With any MP3, the sound is broken - like micro stutters. I can use another MP3 player with no problems.

Associate
Thank, just test the batch file now finished downloaded 32 bit Windows 10, now installing it on both compute stick and Linx 10 tablet. Far so good on 3 devices running 64 bit Windows 10 since yesterday.

Easiest and least problematic major Win10 update i've done yet! Had to reapply a few of my .reg and Powershell tweaks, but that's normal. I used MCT to download the .iso and updated in situ with that. Took about 15 minutes. Then used the old MS USB tool to create a bootable USB with the .iso for future use. Completely painless for a change. Fixed a few bugs i had with 1803 and still no problems with the new build.

Soldato
Man of Honour
Easiest and least problematic major Win10 update i've done yet! Had to reapply a few of my .reg and Powershell tweaks, but that's normal. I used MCT to download the .iso and updated in situ with that. Took about 15 minutes. Then used the old MS USB tool to create a bootable USB with the .iso for future use. Completely painless for a change. Fixed a few bugs i had with 1803 and still no problems with the new build.

Using the media creation tool is almost always a less painful way of updating Windows 10 - not to say pain free - I'm not sure why - but people shouldn't have to resort to that to ensure a good experience not to mention you don't have a lot of choice over that unless you either pre-empt the automatic updates or take drastic steps to block normal update behaviour.

Associate
I wasn't happy with some errors i was seeing in the Event Viewer, and in trying to fix them borked my user account. :D

Although it's a deprecated feature, i've always kept an 'Image Backup' from the built in Windows tool that allows you to do this. As i've never actually had to restore from one of these backups before, i had no idea if it would work. Surprisingly it did, without a hitch! Booted from my Recovery disc, pointed the restore option to my external drive and voila!

Useful feature, and one i hope doesn't get deprecated in future.

Associate
^ It is a useful feature, but should image backup ever disappear the free version of Macrium Reflect can create images in a very similar fashion.

Associate
^ It is a useful feature, but should image backup ever disappear the free version of Macrium Reflect can create images in a very similar fashion.

I'll get myself a copy, just in case. Thanks!

I meant to say "Useful feature, and one i hope doesn't get removed in future"

I'm back on 1803 of course as it was some weeks ago i made the backup. The good news is that my install was in a good working state when i made it, so is again now. Bad news is that 1809 will probably reintroduce the same annoying Event Viewer Errors. These are a constant spam of "
Event 1534 User Profile Service "Profile notification of event Create for component...." under Application Log.

Soldato
Just updated via Windows Update, it was fast and pretty painless. Universal dark mode looks pretty great even on explorer.

The Your Phone app seems to work pretty well as well, although shame I can't pick what folders on my phone for it to show pictures from.

And surprisingly... I think this is the first major Windows update that has not turned fast start-up back on.

Associate
Well im still on Windows 7 i was looking to upgrade to 10. Cause i want to be able to use Hue Sync i know it works on 8.1 to. Id upgrade to 10 but this auto update that puts me off. My machine is well capable of running 10 with it been just over 3 years old. But the issues im seeing with some is putting me off completely so might get the 8.1 put on my machine. Just reading this

Anshul Jain, Diploma Music Production (2019)
Answered Jul 24, 2018

In my experience, yes. I have had Windows 8.1 for about 4 years now. My friends and family bought laptops much more improved than my PC system with Windows 10 pre-installed in those laptops. Even today they are slower.

I have a 4th gen i5 processor with 8GB RAM while they have 7th gen i5 processors with 8GB RAM. Yet I have noticed time and again my system boots faster, opens file explorer faster, copies data faster and handles multiple tabs on Firefox better. I have even used Pro Tools which is a heavy DAW software. And even that works relatively smooth on my desktop.

Windows 10 is full of unnecessary bloatware which takes away your processing power. The start menu has ads off Microsoft apps. Settings and Control Panel have been mixed up together to create a complete mess. Updates are coming in every day and they fix old bugs and give you new ones. Multiple users report issues with updates. The OS is not stable at all. Not to mention, that the constant updates keep taking up your internet speed for the downloads as well.

As far as I am concerned, the UI is crap. I can change the time format to 24 hour clock from the settings menu but to change the time zone I have to go to Control Panel. This is just one of the examples of the OS not being planned properly. Microsoft has created such a mess out of this tablet-laptop hybrid OS that I wish they scrap the plan altogether and go back to the drawing board. As anyone doing any kind of professional work, your computer needs to be reliable and not prone to crashing any other day because a buggy update came out and now I have to reinstall the OS.

I have tried out Windows 10 on my PC as well and the performance was considerably reduced hence I reverted back to Windows 8.1

Man of Honour
I have a 4th gen i5 processor with 8GB RAM while they have 7th gen i5 processors with 8GB RAM. Yet I have noticed time and again my system boots faster, opens file explorer faster, copies data faster and handles multiple tabs on Firefox better. I have even used Pro Tools which is a heavy DAW software. And even that works relatively smooth on my desktop.

Windows 10 is full of unnecessary bloatware which takes away your processing power. The start menu has ads off Microsoft apps. Settings and Control Panel have been mixed up together to create a complete mess. Updates are coming in every day and they fix old bugs and give you new ones. Multiple users report issues with updates. The OS is not stable at all. Not to mention, that the constant updates keep taking up your internet speed for the downloads as well.

This is absolutely true in my experience - Windows 10 has so much going on and doing so many background tasks of its own that it often pales compared to 8 - but not a lot of people are running 8 to really notice it. While Windows 10 is capable of faster booting than 8 when it feels like it 9 times out of 10 it will have too much going on to do so.

It is a bit annoying as I've an older Windows 8 tablet and some newer Windows tablets that only support 10 and the older one boots into the OS so much quicker its unreal as well as generally being more suited to a portable system - Windows 10 also dramatically hits battery life in a lot of cases making it further tragic for portable use.

I'd say the developers need to get a clue but I think the problem is they have zero interest in actually making a good OS for everyone and have a far narrower and specific goal in mind with the OS and everyone else be damned.

Microsoft has created such a mess out of this tablet-laptop hybrid OS that I wish they scrap the plan altogether and go back to the drawing board. As anyone doing any kind of professional work, your computer needs to be reliable and not prone to crashing any other day because a buggy update came out and now I have to reinstall the OS.

As above it isn't even good on a tablet - but it falls down on that key metric of what an OS should do - enable the end user - an OS needs to be there for the end user and you absolutely can't rely on Windows 10 to be there for you.

Don
With new laptops, they generally have so much extra installed, 3rd party backfrback applications etc, so take their performance with a pinch of salt.

I use Windows 7 in work and Windows 10 at home, i much prefer 10.

Man of Honour
My Win 10 VM on my Mac keeps saying it can't sign me into my Microsoft account, it suggests I sign out, and the loop begins. I've tried all sorts.

Back
Top Bottom