Windows 10

Soldato
It's an issue when you use microsoft's own wizzard to move the folders. There's not much weird about that ...

Hoping someone can advise...

Not too up on the terminology, but I recently changed the location of downloads and documents (under This PC, right-clicking on "documents", going to "properties", selecting the "location" and tab, and changing the destination to folders on my d drive I'd already created)

That seems to be a action Microsoft supports.

Is it this that is going to be broken and result in data loss after the update?

Soldato
Not too up on the terminology, but I recently changed the location of downloads and documents (under This PC, right-clicking on "documents", going to "properties", selecting the "location" and tab, and changing the destination to folders on my d drive I'd already created)

There must be something else involved as well, as i had moved several user folders, video, pictures, doc, downloads all to alternative drives, and my 1809 update thankfully didn't kill all my data
I'd still be weeping if it did.

Soldato
There must be something else involved as well, as i had moved several user folders, video, pictures, doc, downloads all to alternative drives, and my 1809 update thankfully didn't kill all my data
I'd still be weeping if it did.
Yeah, I'd be pretty distraught if some of the stuff there vanished. Most of it's backed up to a nas but still, moving these locations seems endorsed by Microsoft. It seems staggeringly inept if their update can jeopardise customers' data in this way.

Soldato

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-move-default-user-folders-new-drive-windows-10

Yes that what I did with File Explorer changed 3 devices' default folders location to D: since 1507 and also changed all saved contents to D: in Change where new contents is saved in Settings/System\Storage\More storage settings since 1511. Nope not broken and result no data loss after 1809 update.

nC8HCLT.png

I am really not sure what James talked about Microsoft own wizzard thing. :confused:

Soldato
Browse to c:\users\YOU. Right click a special folder like "Documents", "Music", "Pictures" etc...

OE261Ff.png

This has existed since all these separate folders came as standard in Windows Vista. IIRC, even the "My Documents" folder in Windows XP also had this functionality.

Associate
Seems like changing File associations/Default Programs after the recent Cumulative Update has become an issue for many. There are new complaints cropping up daily on reddit and tenforums.

Edit: CU KB4462919 seems to be the problem. At least one person fixed the issue by removing the update.

Last edited:
Soldato
I had a strange problem on a Windows 10 laptop last night that I couldn't fix. Whenever the laptop starts up Internet Explorer opens. If I close Internet Explorer and then try to open Edge, Edge immediately closes and Internet Explorer opens back up. It does the same if I try and open Chrome as well. Not seen that before. I had a look about and tried various potential fixes but nothing worked. I also scanned for viruses but nothing showed. Anyone got any ideas?

Man of Honour
Windows 10 has become a joke with all the issue it's had. Granted when it's working fine it's a nice OS, but MS really need to pull their finger out.

Man of Honour
Windows 10 has become a joke with all the issue it's had. Granted when it's working fine it's a nice OS, but MS really need to pull their finger out.

Just giving back proper manual control so the end user can manage the problems would make a huge difference (updates, background processes, privacy).

Though this week out the blue I've been plagued by the start menu randomly going unresponsive for minutes at a time and logging in to a blank screen with just the mouse pointer and able to open task manager and nothing else requiring a repair install to fix - never had to deal with this kind of thing repeatedly on earlier versions of Windows.

Man of Honour
It's horrendous. I've now gone to the effort of getting my spare monitor to hook up my MacBook to it for daily tasks; the Win 10 desktop is only getting switched on when I want to play a game.

Don
Just bit the bullet and switched my Work PC to Windows 10 (1803). My first experience with Windows 10 and not impressed.

Too much control has gone, and too many annoying little things that should really have been picked up by a testing panel imo.

Some of the things I've found so far:
- Control Panel vs Settings? Why?
- DPI Scaling options despite being technically better, are generally worse (i.e. We historically have always run 125% dpi at work, all my apps now have to have "Use this setting to fix scaling problems" and "Override scaling:Application" ticked. I have had to change registry settings to reduce Window titlebar sizes as this isn't exposed anywhere, and this only affects Win32 apps, not the "universal" apps or whatever they are called)
- Windows Spotlight/Image backgrounds on lock screen/logon screen randomly breaking
- Win+X menu - powershell shortcuts broken (may be related to my domain profile, but no obvious way of fixing)

Minor design issues, but annoying none-the-less:
- Start Menu search seems to selectively not suggest things (e.g. regedit isn't suggested when typing reg, it only appears once you type the whole word)
- Clicking on an "Alphabet header" on the start menu, there is no way to cancel the "Alphabet selector" to get back to where you were
- Settings panel has no back button (so if you click on a "related" link then you can't get back to where you were)

Soldato
Still no issues on my 1809 PCs, all going smooth :) . I do hope Microsoft wake up and hear you guys, plus do something constructive for those that have issues with 10.

Back
Top Bottom