Windows 11 is garbage

Soldato
Just a feature freeze would improve things with 11 IMO, with MS constantly playing around with features you never know if this month is going to be the month that they either break or change something and disrupt your workflow.

Permabanned
So from what I can gather, living with W11 is like living in an abusive relationship...:cry:

Yep I'll stick with my hackintosh as a daily rig and only firing up the gaming rig that runs W10 just for games... I love that W11 was literally pointless and offered nothing needed, like a new Direct11 for example, and W12 will soon be here :rolleyes: :p

Props to you lot for putting up with it though, software based BDSM fetish I'm assuming?

Soldato
So from what I can gather, living with W11 is like living in an abusive relationship...:cry:

Yep I'll stick with my hackintosh as a daily rig and only firing up the gaming rig that runs W10 just for games... I love that W11 was literally pointless and offered nothing needed, like a new Direct11 for example, and W12 will soon be here :rolleyes: :p

Props to you lot for putting up with it though, software based BDSM fetish I'm assuming?
I only use Windows 11 because I have installed Explorer Patcher.

If it was not for this to give me back the Windows 10 start menu, quick launch, old combine features and the old right click menus etc I would not be using it

Soldato
Quick launch would be good to get back
can't you just pin it onto the task bar? it's effectively the same thing isn't it? It's what i've done.

Also, you can definitely make the start menu effectively the old start menu again, but it does need an extra click. The first click is the pinned apps, then there's an All Apps button which seems to offer the same experience.

That said it's definitely not as good as W10, or even 7 - it's not been that terrible an experience for me to adjust really. The volume/internet/battery (if using laptop) combined icon in the system tray is baffling.

Last edited:
Permabanned
I only use Windows 11 because I have installed Explorer Patcher.

If it was not for this to give me back the Windows 10 start menu, quick launch, old combine features and the old right click menus etc I would not be using it
That just sounds like putting a bandage on a swimming pool to me mate :cry: Why even bother upgrading if there's no benefit/need?

I just don't get it with silly stop gap cash grab versions like this? Reminds me of when 8/8.1 came out, yet 7 did everything fine, 8 sucked, 8.1 sucked slightly less, and 10 was a huge jump... Seems pointless to me.

Soldato
can't you just pin it onto the task bar? it's effectively the same thing isn't it? It's what i've done.

Also, you can definitely make the start menu effectively the old start menu again, but it does need an extra click. The first click is the pinned apps, then there's an All Apps button which seems to offer the same experience.

That said it's definitely not as good as W10, or even 7 - it's not been that terrible an experience for me to adjust really. The volume/internet/battery (if using laptop) combined icon in the system tray is baffling.
Pinned apps does not work the same as having a quick launch function.

I have quick launch with all the apps I use throughout the day and when I press them it loads the app in the taskbar.

I did try pinned stuff but was not a fan of it, the app loads where the pinned icon. Its been ages since I used it last and cannot remember exactly why I didn't like it lol

That just sounds like putting a bandage on a swimming pool to me mate :cry: Why even bother upgrading if there's no benefit/need?

I just don't get it with silly stop gap cash grab versions like this? Reminds me of when 8/8.1 came out, yet 7 did everything fine, 8 sucked, 8.1 sucked slightly less, and 10 was a huge jump... Seems pointless to me.

This is very true, I do need to re install my OS at some point but keep putting it off, debating to go back to Windows 10 as there is nothing in Windows 11 that makes me want to stay on it

Last edited:
Soldato
I don't know if it's an age thing, but I just couldn't give a crap about new OS releases, even on phones. I have no idea why devices get updates so often. Windows 10 does everything I want it to and more. It works in a way that I'm relatively happy with. I don't want to upgrade to 11. Why would I? 11 doesn't bring anything useful to me and I don't want to update just for the sake of it.

It's the same with my phone. I have iOS 16 and it's asking me to update to 17. I don't want to. Just leave me alone!

I'd still happily be on Windows 7.

Last edited:
Soldato
I'd still happily be on Windows 7.
Same here.

Just imagine if Microsoft went back to their roots and for windows 12 gave us a Windows 7 experience,Clean GUI without no nonsense,No spyware/telemetry or bundles crap nobody wants installed..just a nice clean and lean OS.

Those days are gone unfortunately,All they focus on now is adding more ways to spy on its users and making as much money from Ads and selling your data...i really hope that Linux will be a viable alternative for gamers eventually so can just finally say good bye to Windows.

Associate
I use Windows 11 on my laptop but i also use it for work, so don't get much choice, plus with 11 Pro, Bitlocker enabled by default. my initial frustration is the 5 character limit imposed for the local profile name for your account. Spent some time modifying the registry to get it how i wanted it. If i could use it for work, i would swap to a Linux distro tomorrow, but until Microsoft enable workplace join on Linux, i am stuck and Macbooks are vastly overpriced for my needs. My gaming desktop is still running windows 10, I don't see a need for using windows 11 just yet.

Last edited:
Soldato
Who decided to make the start menu like that, funny that companies spend, research & change with out asking users about it. I have Openshell to get a good start menu. Plus OMG guys, make dark mode change everything. If High Contrast does it, it can be done with out high contrast.

Man of Honour
Who decided to make the start menu like that, funny that companies spend, research & change with out asking users about it. I have Openshell to get a good start menu. Plus OMG guys, make dark mode change everything. If High Contrast does it, it can be done with out high contrast.

Doesn't surprise me - the Windows Shell is a mess - if using raw Win 32 common controls there is no proper way to retrieve the user set accent colour for instance, button text colour can't be simply set to the same colour as other controls - you have to go through a mess of using special cased owner drawn buttons or use a library like MFC/.net which brings issues of its own or UWP which is another story again...

Soldato
You all need to give up on legacy Startbar. Pin what you use frequently, search and click what you need on a less frequent basis.

I rarely open the Startbar. Apps I use daily are pinned to the taskbar or autostart.

The ony real annoyances I have with Windows 11 is the extra click in the right click context menu and the mish mash of new and old settings. Windows 11 Network and Legacy Networks and Adapters for example (The latter being the more useful one)

Man of Honour
You all need to give up on legacy Startbar. Pin what you use frequently, search and click what you need on a less frequent basis.

For me searching, etc. is a horribly tedious way to get to secondary use items. The purpose of an operating system [should be] primarily to enable the end user, and that is something Windows 10 and 11 fall flat on their face at.

I use the regedit to get the old context menus back, which makes things a lot nicer to use, but always the possibility some muppet developer will break the ability to do that in the future :(

Man of Honour
We can have all of that at once!

I like to be able to see all my apps in one single pane, hence the classic all programs view. I then like searching too and that works flawlessly 100% of the time. I then use pinned taskbar items for frequent apps, then those items have pinned shortcuts too on right click.

oZGtFoJ.gif

Soldato
We can have all of that at once!

I like to be able to see all my apps in one single pane, hence the classic all programs view. I then like searching too and that works flawlessly 100% of the time. I then use pinned taskbar items for frequent apps, then those items have pinned shortcuts too on right click.

oZGtFoJ.gif
What are you using to achieve the Start menu and taskbar? I'm not a fan of the sectioned transparent taskbar, but I do like to show the labels when I have the screen space to do so. Under this is another row for my Quick Launch shortcuts - all maybe 10 ten of them :D

Back
Top Bottom