Windows 11 key, where?

Associate
I was wondering where to get a key for a windows 11 for a fresh build? I saw if I Google it a lot of really cheap one comes up, are they worth getting?

Any recommendation where to get it from?

Tia

Soldato
The problem I tend to find with cheap ones is that they have been used a number of times and you don't get any proof that you own that key, because, well, you don't!

I usually sell the parts of my old PC, so I just move the copy of Windows to the new one. Microsoft don't seem to mind that. Windows Store has a number of free apps to extract your key from an existing PC.
If that doesn't work then I buy from a reputable store (OCUK is a fine example!). This is so that I have some tangible proof that I own the key.

Man of Honour
Given that OcUK sell Windows licenses people can't recommend other places.

Cheap sources of keys are 50/50 in my experience - especially any unknown place that comes up on a Google result is relatively likely to be less than scrupulous where the keys came from.

Associate
OP
Ohh I didn't know they sell them. Well I keep looking in to it.

So I have a laptop with a key, can it be shared? I guess key can only be use in one pc, correct?

Associate
Cheap windows keys are generally from volume licensing deals. They might work for a month or work for 10 years, but they are not covered by MS t&c. Mostly they work fine, but can be invalidated at any moment.

OEM keys are now tied to MS accounts as well as pc hardware, and normally you can deactivate and reactivate them on new install. Again not covered by T&C but MS don't seem to bother checking too deeply.

Man of Honour
I know nobody cares, but I'm going to say it anyway, you can basically use Windows for free now (if you can tolerate a watermark, with no desktop customisation).

Just because you can buy and activate a £5 key doesn't actually mean you have a legitimate license, so if you're going to go to the trouble of buying one at all, I'd rather get mine from a known legit source.

Soldato
I've never spent more than £5-10 on a Windows key since 10 launched and I never will. Zero issues across multiple keys, that said it is true that you can run keyless with one or two minor features disabled if you're happy to live with a watermark.

It's absolutely not worth forking out £100 + for.

Soldato
I just use windows 10 unactivated
have done for years, I did have it cracked to show up as activated, but a recent win10 update that slipped by me, screwed that up, it wants me to download and run win11 for free now, so maybe download win10 onto a usb from MS website, and see if you can upgrade to win11 from there for free too?
If I really wanted to run win11 from fresh, I would just run it unactivated, not hard to download a MS OS onto a USB now

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom