Windows 11 not detecting M.2 drives

Associate
Hi everyone,

I wasn't sure where I needed to post this so please move the thread if it's in the wrong place.

I finally managed to get Windows 11 installed yesterday, however for some reason it is only detecting 1 M.2 drive which is the one I've installed Windows on. For some reason it is not picking up the other two m.2 drives. They appear in the bios but not Windows.

I have tried looking at disk management but nothing is showing up, only drive c and a disk 0 partition 1 & 4. I've checked Device Manager and under storage controller's I have 'Microsoft Storage Spaces Controller' & three Standard NVM Express Controller.

Does anybody have any idea how to get the other two drives to show up? This is my last headache from the build now.

Also to add, I tried to turn on AMD raid in bios but that broke my pc and windows would no longer load so I've had to disable that.

Last edited:
Soldato
In Disk Management do you only see Disk 0 and no Disk 1 and Disk 2?

If they aren't showing in Disk Management then they could be attached to a controller which needs drivers.

What's your motherboard?

Soldato
A couple of things to try

Open a command prompt as Admin
Diskpart
List disk

Do any of the missing M2 drives show here?

Try the same thing in Windows PE to rule out any Windows driver issues

Boot from the Windows setup USB
At the first setup screen press SHIFT+F10 to open a command prompt
Diskpart
List disk

Do the M2 drives show here?

Associate
OP
The first option using command prompt only shows disk 0. For some reason I can't get windows to boot from a USB at all, it just gets stuck on the windows logo.

I have downloaded WD app and that identifies both drives that windows will not pick up

Associate
OP
I think I might have worked it out. For some reason both of the drives was appearing under the Storage Spaces as a physical disk, so I have managed to create two additional drives from there. The confusing part is that it appears to let me create storage that is bigger than the 2x 1tb drives I have.

Hopefully that has fixed everything now.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
I think I might have worked it out. For some reason both of the drives was appearing under the Storage Spaces as a physical disk, so I have managed to create two additional drives from there. The confusing part is that it appears to let me create storage that is bigger than the 2x 1tb drives I have.

Hopefully that has fixed everything now.
Good news here's some info on storage space in Windows.

Soldato
For some reason both of the drives was appearing under the Storage Spaces as a physical disk, so I have managed to create two additional drives from there.

How did they end up under there? I put together a PC yesterday with 4 brand new NVMEs and all were shown in Disk Management.

Associate
OP
How did they end up under there? I put together a PC yesterday with 4 brand new NVMEs and all were shown in Disk Management.
I have absolutely no idea, I installed windows via the DVD (as I couldn't get USB to work) and when I loaded up windows only the drive where windows installed was shown. Randomly came across the storage space thing and they showed up there. I have now deleted them from the storage and they show up in Disk Management. So all three drives are as they should be now.

Back
Top Bottom