Windows 11 Taskbar Never Combine

Man of Honour
Knowing MS they'll probably break compatibility with ExplorerPatcher with an update sooner or later and/or force change it behind the scenes so it no longer works if you want to use the OS different to how they intended :s

Man of Honour
Always feels like whomever changes this stuff doesn't actually use it, otherwise they wouldn't make these changes.

Plainly none of the MS developers actually use the as shipped OS :( they also do their best to isolate themselves from real user feedback. They are ***** poor custodians of the OS.

Soldato
Plainly none of the MS developers actually use the as shipped OS :( they also do their best to isolate themselves from real user feedback. They are ***** poor custodians of the OS.

That's the case for all OS/software. It's no excuse for poor design.

Soldato
Yes the two biggest gripes I have with Windows 11 are in this thread:

- "never combine" has gone
- "show more options" means an extra mouse click and that impacts me a lot

In terms of "never combine", I hated that not being there, but after a few months I've got used to grouping. Like it no, but got used to it - yes. Would I ungroup if MS brought it back ? I'm not sure.

The right-click "show more options" is painful. I use 7z a lot, and to have to access that via an extra mouse click, and it slows me down and things take longer. Not just 7z. Costs me time.

Additionally with right-click, I often choose the paste icon instead of the copy icon, and end up with a totally unexpected result when something already on the clipboard gets pasted !! Now I have to pause on those icons briefly until the tooltip or whatever you call it comes up to be sure, or at least slow down and think about it more. Again costing me time.

And on my Ryzen 3700U laptop, it went from a fast responsive laptop to a slow and laggy one for a couple of months. That I think was the AMD driver issue. Fortunately with subsequent updates it is now back to its old Windows 10 self in terms of GUI and Window speed.

I might just try the Start 11 Trial. I've used their products before in my distant OS/2 past !

Soldato
Yes the two biggest gripes I have with Windows 11 are in this thread:

- "show more options" means an extra mouse click and that impacts me a lot

The right-click "show more options" is painful. I use 7z a lot, and to have to access that via an extra mouse click, and it slows me down and things take longer. Not just 7z. Costs me time.

I am the same, I use 7 Zip a lot for work and at the moment I am still on W10 for my home PC and laptop.

I have started to see customers for work on W11 and I hate the right click options

Associate
One reason I love startallback not only to get a Windows 10 explorer layout, restore the more useful taskbar and to get my classic right click menu back throughout the OS. That "show more options" is an absolute pain in the ass just to access basic options, it may look cleaner but it's an extra step and over a year that can mean many thousands of unnecessary clicks.

Whoever is in charge of doing the UI layout needs sacking as it's badly designed. Surely throughout the testing phase internally and people like us testing it they must have thought this feels terrible?.

At the end of the day if anyone has to use a 3rd party tool just to get basic functionality then it's a bad UI.

Man of Honour
Whoever is in charge of doing the UI layout needs sacking as it's badly designed. Surely throughout the testing phase internally and people like us testing it they must have thought this feels terrible?.

At the end of the day if anyone has to use a 3rd party tool just to get basic functionality then it's a bad UI.

They don't seem to listen to feedback of any kind unless it is what they want to hear and increasingly isolate themselves from any negative feedback. Getting increasingly frustrating having to use 3rd party tools with all the potential security concerns of that just to make 10 and 11 useable.

The whole lot need sacking - they are just a bunch of obnoxious clowns who shouldn't be curators of a widely used OS.

Soldato
I keep on checking StartAllBack, as I want a "Never, hide labels" to pop up... As I dont really like the labels showing, because they take up more room and looks outdated hqcOGsq.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
Tried to find the mega-upvoted topic in feedback hub to see if there's an official response, but I can't even find it anymore.

Feedback Hub - where feedback goes to die.
It will never happen, it isn't consistent with the design philosophy of W11. I've got used to it. At least File Explorer has tabs now, that is a big plus. My major issue with W11 is horrible SSD speed on my Ryzen laptop compared to W10. And I do have the latest drivers. Very seriously considering a format and clean install of W11, and if that doesn't solve it, then dump W11 and do a clean install of W10. It only has to last another couple of years until I buy a new one, and W10 still has security updates.

Soldato
OP
Seems like they've started to work on this feature now. So far their implementation has "never combine" but not "show labels" - without the labels you have two icons that look the same, which is near enough the same problem that currently exists, so the labels are essential.

Back
Top Bottom