Windows 7/10/11 locking on new install.

Associate
Hey chaps,

Have a pc that has been running windows 10 fine for years (3) it's an I9-9990k on Rog Hero Wifi (z390) mobo, stupidly I tried to upgrade the main partition to gpt in order to upgrade to windows 11, this failed and screwed up my boot partition.

No problem I thought I'll just do a clean install of windows 10..... initially it just locked up during the "transferring files" part of the windows install.. Cut a long story short, upgraded bios multiple times, wiped everything and started from scratch.

Whatever I tried I could not get windows to install without it locking up half way through the install. In the end I installed Windows on another machine and then put the drive into my one. This boots up lets me log in fine but after about 60 secs after login again .. it locks up, tried different memory, different hard drive, motherboard reports no errors and don't forget it was working for 3 years without skipping a beat before I scrwed the pooch.

any ideas?

Soldato
Have you checked event viewer at all to see if it gives you anything about the lockup?

I would do a clear cmos
Disconnect all drives but the OS drive
If possible, try a different SSD\HDD
Try a different sata port and cable.

Associate
OP
Thanks for the replies but I just bought a new system, can't be arsed messing around anymore. To answer the suggestions already, Tried 3 different drives,M2/SSD/Mech Different cables, 6 different Bios's, 4 different OS, Windows 7/8/10/11 , different ram, I think it has to be the motherboard (Hero Wifi which has always been a PITA).

Back
Top Bottom