windows 8.1 as a developer OS

Soldato
Does anyone else develop on windows 8.1? This thing is really starting to annoy me with it's UAC systems.

There's no easy way to run in an admin mode like in windows 7, this means that programs like notepad++ can't edit protected file like hosts without having to first run as admin which is a pain in the ass.

Same for visual studio, it can't actually run a bunch of stuff properly without elevated permissions.

There's a way to ask for elevated permissions when a program starts using Troubleshoot Compatibility > Troubleshoot Program > The program requires additional permissions.

The issue with doing this is that now the explorer shell runs at a lower permission level to the program you want to use which breaks both right click > open with or dragging files from the desktop in to say notepad++.

I'm really regretting upgrading my work PC to W8.1 now :(

Soldato
OP
oh I know how to run as admin. But that also breaks in a different way, try doing this.

Start notepad as admin, now try to drag a txt file in to it to open it. It wont work due to notepad now being of a higher permission level to explore which is trying to send it the open this file command. So annoying.

Associate
No problem, post back and let us know how it goes, as I say I haven't experienced it but no doubt others will have and this may help them too!

Soldato
OP
oh this is just to get an instance of explorer to run as admin so that you can then do things like drag a file to another elevated permissions program. It doesn't do it by default though so things on your desktop won't work. Also std right click open as won't work either from a normal explorer.

Damn you windows.

Associate
Other than using the Administrator account (not a user that's in the Administrators group, the main Administrator account) I'm not sure how else you'd get round this.

Using the above account runs everything with elevated privileges but is obviously not best practice.

Back
Top Bottom