Windows Azure - anyone using it in anger?

Associate
My company is looking to move away from our current server hosting provider, and my boss is very keen on moving most if not all of our server infrastructure into Azure.

I've had a play around with it in my own time and I'm quite impressed, and I've read up on a few case studies (including Pottermore, which is quite an eyeopener) and it all seems very positive.

Is anyone using it for their day-to-day business? How are you finding it?

I would be interested to hear what people have to say about Azure.

I'm currently in the process of moving a website and I'm looking at different hosting providers

I'm using it in a very limited capacity during the 3-month trial at the moment, using their beta-ish VM product. I have a 2008 R2 box running an access point controller for a bunch of cloud-managed APs (Ubiquiti UniFi). Using an extra-small size machine since it doesn't have to do any real work, and none of the WLAN data travels through it either. It's going to cost me less to run than the electricity that one of the APs uses each month, not to mention the licensing / connectivity cost savings.

Give it a try, you don't really have anything to lose.

Give it a try, you don't really have anything to lose.

I'm 30 days into the 90 day trial, and have had a play with everything except the cloud services (which I really need to get off my backside and try).

So far I'm impressed, although I'm not sure if I'll continue using it in a personal capacity after the trial - it's rather expensive when compared to my current hosting (tsohost).

My company should be making a decision on it this week - my colleague is working on a product based on the Orchard CMS, so that'll be the first thing deployed up there if we get the go ahead.

This looks great, hardware seems priced well too - how much is the server software?

I;m sure somebody will correct me if I'm wrong but I do not believe they charge anything for the managament software hence ythe big buzz with UniFi at the moment.

Yeah I've been digging more and it looks like the control software is free to download from their site, just confused me because on one of the resellers websites it has a product "UniFi Server Software" with 'call for pricing'

Back
Top Bottom