Windows laptop and Linux

Associate
So i have an aged rog laptop which i don't really use anymore and am curious is there a simple way to turn it into full working linux only laptop?
am new to linux so please be gentle :)

It's much the same as installing windows. Pick a distribution to use, download a usb image and copy it to a thumbdrive. Boot from the thumbrive and follow the installation steps.

You should be able to find plenty of videos on-line that show different distributions and how to install them. I recommend spending some time watching them before proceeding.

(Make sure you have the Windows license key somewhere, just in case you change your mind.)

Yep, it should be super easy. I'd suggest using Ubuntu or Mint to start with, as a new user.

It's worth googling the model of the laptop to make sure there are no driver quirks - sometimes, although more rarely nowadays, some have issues usually with the WiFi or Bluetooth cards, or the touchpad. It's pretty rare on more modern OSs, but it's always frustrating to find out that you've installed something which is a pain to use because your WiFi won't work!

Otherwise, just download the USB image, boot your laptop from the USB, and you're off. Ubuntu and Mint both give you the chance to try running the distro from the USB before installing on the hard drive as well (although obviously as it's running from the USB it'll be pretty slow!)

Is recommend the following distros :)
Linux Mint
Lubuntu
Zorin OS

All I found are pretty good when it comes to just working with various different systems with varying hardware.

I use Fedora KDE Plasma. I think it's quite user friendly but gets updated frequently which I see as a good thing but I appreciate not everyone feels the same way. I've used Ubuntu in the past, as well as mint and arch but Fedora (with KDE over Gnome) has been my favourite

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom