Windows Random Crashes

• Thread starter Thread starter bum
  • Start date Start date

bum

bum

Associate
hi all,

I've been having a huge problem with my computer lately. I'll start off with my specs:

AMD 64 3500+
1GB Corsair XMS RAM 3200
Asus A8N-SLI Motherboard
Connect 3D x800gto2
Seagate 200GB SATA

Essentially I've been having frequent crashes in windows. This applies to all kinds of programs, video playing, IE, 3DMax, Games, etc.

I also ocassionally get a random reboot.

At first I thought it could be the ram. I initially had Kingston RAM and know my motherboard can be very picky when it comes to RAM. So I went and bought a 1GB stick of Corsair RAM. After installing it, I noticed a definite speed increase in a few things. (Windows was a bit laggy with the Kingston ram). However, the program crashes still occurred. Just FYI, the Kingston RAM was perfectly fine since I ran Memtest on it for 8 hours and got 0 errors.

The next step was a format. So now I end up getting errors when installing windows (i.e., random files cannot be installed when installing windows. For e.g. explorer.exe could not be installed...abort, retry, skip)

I've had that kind of problem in the past and its usually been a hardware problem. Anyways, after a few tries the installation goes smoothly. So I get to the more 'visual' part of the windows install. I did this a few formats ago and got a BSOD. It said something about the mssmbios.sys file. Thats SP2 related.

Eventually I got windows installed and began transferring back my programs from my other computer. However, the errors in windows still persist!

I get the send error report dialogue.

I'm pretty much stumped on this and would really appreciate some help.

Thanks!

Sounds to me like it could spyware, I'd recommend a program called Adaware. Here is the link. When you first install windows xp and you have broadband your computer will be flooded with spyware and viruses until you download the require updates from Windows update.

Back
Top Bottom