Windows Update NOT updating?

Capodecina
Soldato
I have left Windows Update running overnight - probably nigh on 12 hours - it still displays "Checking for updates..." with the progress bar happily drifting from left to right.

I do have Internet access (I can log onto OcUK and post this).

Does anyone have any idea why this might happen?

Capodecina
Soldato
OP
Thanks for that, I am indeed running Windows 7 and at your suggestion downloaded "Windows6.1-KB3138612-x64".
It is described as the "Windows Update Standalone Installer".
When run it displays a MsgBox showing an endlessly running progress bar titled "Searching for updates on this computer".

Sadly, it still gets nowhere :(

98% System Idle Process. I have run Anti-Virus, MalwareBytes and SuperAntiSpyware with no reported problems. I have also used CCleaner.

Three further factors that seem "odd" are that:
1. the system seems to take a very long time to shutdown.

2. when booted it says:
"Preparing to configure Windows
Do not turn off your computer.
"​
before reporting:
"Failure configuring Windows updates.
Reverting changes,
Do not turn off your computer.
"​
3. it than says "Microsoft Mouse & Keyboard Centre has stopped working."

I take it from the first two items that there are files previously downloaded that do not work.
Do you have any idea where these might be located (e.g. under C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download\)?
Would it be an idea to delete these?

Soldato
If it is Windows 7 then this should work: (download the 2 files first)

1. Disconnect from internet

2. Restart PC

3. Manually run 1st install (KB3102810)

4. Restart PC

5. Run 2nd install (System update readiness tool)

6. Restart PC

7. Connect to internet

8. Check for Windows Updates

9. Done!

Capodecina
Soldato
OP
Hi, thanks for you nine step solution. I downloaded everything and went through the steps you describe. Sadly it still hasn't worked :(

3a) Windows Update Standalone Installer - KB3102810-x64 - 3,251 KB.
Runs continuously saying "Searching for updates on this computer".
A MsgBox pops up after a while saying "The update is not applicable to your computer".
KB3102810 continues to run.
When you click [OK] on the MsgBox, KB3102810 terminates.​

5a) System Update Readiness Tool - KB947821-v34-x64 - 551,509 KB. Also called "Windows Update Standalone Installer"?
Runs saying "Searching for updates on this computer".
A MsgBox pops up asking "Do you want to install the following Windows Software update?
Hotfix for Windows (KB947821).
When you click [Yes] it runs displaying "Copying packages to the Windows cache" and then changes to a new MsgBox saying "The updates are being installed".
Attempts to install Hotix for Windows (KB 948721) (update 1 of 1).
This never actually completes, it moves quite rapidly to within about 1cm of the end of the progress bar but never gets any further.
Looking at the Event Log, Error 7034 ("The Windows Modules Installer service terminated unexpectedly") clocks up every 30 seconds.​
The search goes on . . .

In answer to the question below, No, I was not connected to the Internet.

I posted a longer, more detailed response yesterday but it appears to have got lost.

Last edited:
Capodecina
Soldato
OP
Were you connected to the internet when running each file?
Nope, I followed your instructions to the letter; I actually unplugged the Modem/Router.

It may be worth adding that EVERY time I boot the machine I get a message reading:
"Microsoft is preparing to configure Windows - Do not turn off your computer."​
followed after some minutes by another message reading:
"Failure configuring Windows - Reverting changes - Do not turn off your computer."

Is this problem likely to be down to some corrupted file(s) which I can delete or damaged registry entry(s) which I can correct? If so, any idea where I should look?

Capodecina
Soldato
OP
As a follow-on to this, I have been advised to try:

Running sfc /scannow
and​
Resetting the Windows Update components (LINK)

The latter sounds particularly promising. I am somewhat suspicious about the SFC suggestion, I suspect that it may only compound the problem.

Soldato
What I would normally do is wipe the contents of the C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution folder, which removes the WU cache.

Stop the Windows Update service first, either manually through Adminatrative Tools > Services (or run services.msc) or type net stop wuauserv in an elevated command prompt.

Capodecina
Soldato
OP
Many thanks for that . . . I was hoping someone would come up with a suggestion along those lines.

I am no longer near the PC but I have asked the user (my Brother-in-law) to try SFC with the /VERIFYONLY switch.

Man of Honour
I have the same thing with my laptop. It's been "checking for updates" since 9am this morning. I thought they fixed this nonsense? It happened earlier in the year and then was fixed and now it's messed up again. I have had no joy with the "fixes" either. Everything was fine until windows 10 came along!!

Capodecina
Soldato
OP
Try this, it is alleged to be the method used by Microsoft Customer Support Services:
  • Start => Run
  • cmd and [Enter]
  • net stop wuauserv and [Enter]
  • cd c:\Windows and [Enter]
  • rename SoftwareDistribution SoftwareDistribution.old and [Enter]
  • net start wuauserv and [Enter]
  • exit and [enter]
Verify that C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution created when you restarted the update service is about 1.5 MB in size.
Restart the computer
Start => All Programs => Windows Update => Check for updates.
You will be told that there have been no previous checks.
Delete the folder the folder C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution.old if you have no issues.

Man of Honour
My laptop was on for 24 hours and still stuck on checking for updates. Tried stockhausen's fix above at 9.30 this morning and it's still stuck on checking for updates. The new C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution is 12.5mb though. Tried it twice and it won't go any smaller. This is just absolutely ridiculous!!

Last edited:
Capodecina
Soldato
OP
If you Google about, I believe that you will find that many people have been suffering problems with Windows Update.

I find it difficult to believe that there is absolutely no connection between these problems and Microsoft's determination to have everyone migrate to the Venus Fly Trap that is commonly known as Windows 10.

EDITED:

I happened to speak to two people today who were very upset that their computers had been "automatically" updated from Windows 7 to Windows 10. They were adamant that they had not agreed to this but they both thought that their computers were setup to install updates automatically overnight.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom