Windows Vista delayed, quite substantially

Soldato
OP
Nah I think it'll definately come in January. They are actually launching it in November but for business customers only. They don't want to release it in the retail markets till the new year so that Christmas sales aren't hurt.

I hope they've factored piracy into their calculations because anybody that can't get it in November and really wants it is just going to pirate it...

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
That's the thing though. MSDN subscribers also won't be getting it 'till January. At least that's what I've been told.

Retail will take longer - any idea how long it takes to cut millions of DVD/CDs, box and ship them round the world?
Yes, about 1-2 weeks when you're Microsoft ;) They don't "ship them round the world". They have CD distribution companies on every continent and most countries producing them. And besides, the language translations for other countries usually take a few months to even be RTM'd. So initially they'd just be dealing with an English release.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
I can't see what you're getting so uppy about? :p

Yes I hope it's on MSDN too. It bloody better be! :mad:

PS: Microsoft has launched major products in November before. I'm just going on what Jim Allchin has said... He said their partners and OEMs didn't want a Novemeber retail launch because it'd hurt their sales during the Christmas period. I'm not a business or market economics guru so I've no idea how true that statement is.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
EFI is supported on x64. Not on x32. And rightly so, because as they said there are basically zero 32-bit PCs out there with EFI. Microsoft is betting on a relatively fast x64 transition and so why waste resources developing, testing, validating and supporting a x32 EFI driver?

no? what has their been then?
CTP's. Community Technology Previews. A marketing name for "alpha".

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom