Windows XP Home Advice?

Associate
Just bought a GENUINE copy of Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition i've installed it but problem is im building a new PC soon and i want to do a fresh install on my new system.

Problem is its been registered over the telephone activation method how will i be able to activate it again on my new system if its already been done?

Soldato
Nope, you can just activate it again. It has something like 15 or so activations before you have to phone Microsoft up and ask for it to be reset (at least this is what I had to do a while back - very easy process though).

But it isn't a problem, it will activate fine again. :)

Associate
OP
I know when i bought a computer it was already installed and i had to format as i had a huge amount of errors within the first 30 days i couldnt activate it over the phone would it of been easier if i was to activate it over the internet or same thing would have happened?

Soldato
You opened this thread by saying you've bought a Genuine copy of Windows XP Home.
If this is the case you've got absolutely nothing at all to worry about.
If it doesn't activate automatically online then a quick 5 minute phone call and you will be sorted.
As with most things in life, so long as you've got nothing to hide and aren't trying to pull a fast one everything will just be OK.

Associate
OP
stoofa said:
You opened this thread by saying you've bought a Genuine copy of Windows XP Home.
If this is the case you've got absolutely nothing at all to worry about.
If it doesn't activate automatically online then a quick 5 minute phone call and you will be sorted.
As with most things in life, so long as you've got nothing to hide and aren't trying to pull a fast one everything will just be OK.

All i wanted to know is would i have problems re-activating XP thats all and seek some advice as this is my first time re-installing? This is exactly why i opened this thread to seek help if i knew people were going to get cocky over it i would have gone else where for advice!

Associate
geepee said:
All i wanted to know is would i have problems re-activating XP thats all and seek some advice as this is my first time re-installing? This is exactly why i opened this thread to seek help if i knew people were going to get cocky over it i would have gone else where for advice!

:confused:

Associate
This has been discussed at length on these forums with OEM versions being tied to the original motherboard. I thought the concensus was that if you try to activate an OEM version on your new system (=new motherboard?) then Microsoft might not allow it but usually you were OK.
Anybody any recent experience of trying?

Man of Honour
I deal with XP activations all the time at work.

You can generally reactivate a copy over the Internet if you reload a system after about 6-9 months. Apart from that you'll need to phone up. The same is for if you change a major component or many small components - you'll have to phone. They will always let you reactivate, just tell them the truth - e.g. reloaded due to virus, reload due to new motherboard or whatever.

Hope that helps.

Soldato
geepee said:

Okay....
I thought my answer was pretty concise.
It basically said that as long as you were telling us the truth in your original post (the bit about buying a genuine copy of WinXP) then yes, it would activate just fine, if not online then after a 5 minute phone call.

Now if I was being "cocky" as you put it I'd have probably put something along the lines of:

"No, of course not. Microsoft go out of their way to make sure they never activate any of their software that has been purchased from a legitimate source - you dumb or what????"

However as I wasn't being cocky I didn't.

Back
Top Bottom