Windows XP OEM Help Needed!!!

Gux

Gux

Associate
Hey guys, it's my first time posting here and I need help with a couple of issues.;)

I am planing to upgrade my stoneage computer so I am investing into a new mobo, ram and cpu. I am currently using Windows XP Home Edition 32bit OEM version and I know that OEM version can only be used on a single computer. Micro$oft at it's best :rolleyes:

I have heard that it is possible to avoid buying new windows by calling microsoft up and telling them that my old motherboard has broken and they might give me a new product key. I would just like to know if this is actually possible or is it a BS story.

If this is possible, can I use my friends EOM CD and using my new product key to install the software or would there be problems?

Thx in Advance, I hope you understand my bad english :)

Gux

Gux

Associate
OP
it's illegal to use the same copy on two motherboards if you're simply upgrading

just buy Windows 7 Home Premium 64, XP is getting on a bit now

Well my old parts are going in the bin anyway, If I wanted to keep my old parts, I would need to invest into a new PSU,Case,hard-drive,DVD-rom,GPU etc.

Gux

Gux

Associate
OP
Sorry didn't fully read the op post, being a bit naughty tbh dosn't even sound like he even has his own install cd

No I haven't got the CD, since when I bought the computer from a PC shop they didn't give me one.

Gux

Gux

Associate
OP
What is your new spec?

You can download a Windows 7 trial here for free (90 day)

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/evalcenter/cc442495.aspx

I like XP, but wouldn't put it on a new machine.

I am planing to get a PII 955, MSI 785GM-E51 & 2GB of RAM. I am not planing on doing any ocing. I am on a small budget that's why I am trying to save money by not buying any new software.

I might try and download windows 7, I heard good things about it, but If I had to buy 7 I would have to get a dua-core in order to fit into my budget. :(

Gux

Gux

Associate
OP
the 955 is already a quad core, and will support it fine.... no need to get intel?

Yeah I know it's a quad, I am saying if I will have to buy new windows that I wil have to downgrade to a dual-core, most likely to X2 550. I am not planing to go with intel, simply because AMD is cheaper and my old computer is amd and I have never had any problems with it, so I am a satisfied customer :D

Thx for help guys, I guess I am gonna call Micro$oft and see what will happen

Back
Top Bottom