Windows XP & Parallels - what's the deal with network / security?

Soldato
I'm hoping to install Windows XP using Parallels when my MacBook Pro arrives.

All I want to do is run a few basic programs in Windows XP, none of which will require internet / network access.

Since I won't have the usual virus / other protection software on that Windows XP installation i'm concerned about the latop being exposed while I'm working with XP stuff.

So I guess my basic question is, can you use Windows XP in Parallels in an isolated fashion? i.e. safe from the outside world? Or will I have to load it with the usual anti-virus stuff?

Last edited:
Soldato
Raider said:
So I guess my basic question is, can you use Windows XP in Parallels in an isolated fashion? i.e. safe from the outside world? Or will I have to load it with the usual anti-virus stuff?

For starters just turn on Windows Firewall, plus I'm sure you could deny XP internet access in Parallels' options.

Man of Honour
Yes, you can. Just don't set up a network adapter in parallels.

Of course, you'll want one for Windows Update, probably, but you can turn it on and off at will.

Soldato
Ok so I can turn networking on, get all the updates etc.. at home say, then when it comes to putting it on the work network I can disable all network access just for Parallels?