Winform --> Webform?

Associate
Hi

I currently write quite a few little windows apps in c# for work. Mainly pulling data from sql (using a search box on the form) and presenting it as needed and maybe populating other fields depending on what's been clicked from the first result.

I think it would be a good idea to try and make these intranet based; easier for deployment and permissions/accessibility.

I'm sure I had a go at this a few years ago and ran into a brick wall and then gave up due to time constraints.

Anyway, what would you lot suggest. A bit vague I know :)

Soldato
^ But don't use Web forms. It was horrendous when released and it got no better over the years. It's like coding with one hand tied behind your back, especially if you want to do any modern SPA/AJAXy stuff. If you want to learn ASP.Net, use MVC.

Knowledge of some JS frameworks are also pretty essential to a good developer these days. JS/jQuery is a given, but also at least one of Angular/React/Ember/Backbone etc.

Associate
Yeah don't use web forms. You should be able to cobble together a ASP MVC application pretty quickly with your existing knowledge. You should probably be able to create a new UI project and call your existing services with in a few hours so long as your existing services are separated correctly.

I'd steer clear if the heavier JS frameworks like Angulr or KnockOut as they can confuse the ASP MVC principles at first. But something like Bootstrap or React are good for making the UI much more pleasant and complement the ASP stuff well.

Associate
OP
Cheers guys. Looks like I'll be diving into MVC, when I get a bit of time. You know of any good tutorials?

I am also interested in trying Xamarin for my mobile needs but not just yet. Be nice to get away from the macbook, which I hate!

Associate
Depends really. Is it a serious business app to be used by many or more an internal tool that's casual and no one is paying for. Mvc 6 is new and better but perhaps a few things to iron out still and potential bugs.

Associate
OP
Depends really. Is it a serious business app to be used by many or more an internal tool that's casual and no one is paying for. Mvc 6 is new and better but perhaps a few things to iron out still and potential bugs.

They're internal tools, mainly used by I.T. with some reporting tools for management. Never to be seen outside the company and the only cost is my time.

Associate
OP
Don't have time to get stuck into it properly but I've had a read though the MVC6 tutorials on asp.net.

It's a bit (very!) different to how I've done things in the past. Might take a while for my tired brain to wrap itself around this way of thinking, old dog new tricks etc.. :)

Back
Top Bottom