Winter 2017/2018 - Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
Ive got rain forecast yet the temp is 0 degrees... How does that work? Sorry if I sound stupid but how come it isnt snow!

If its warm air over a cold layer rain can supercool on the way down and immediately freeze on any surface it touches, thats freezing rain and you really don't want that.

I'm like all prepared - got my proper cold weather footwear out - though it hit -4C overnight and quite some frost there is pretty much no ice here let alone snow :s

There was an almighty frost last night was pretty darn cold in bed. Frost didn't lift all day car was completely iced up. Milder and rain for tonight though.

Caporegime
We got 9” of snow on Tuesday/yesterday and now it’s started to snow again. We will be having a white Christmas. We’ve had no snow at all most of December which is odd for here.

I had some fun taking the car through some 18” high snowbanks yesterday. :D

Man of Honour
We got 9” of snow on Tuesday/yesterday and now it’s started to snow again. We will be having a white Christmas. We’ve had no snow at all most of December which is odd for here.

I had some fun taking the car through some 18” high snowbanks yesterday. :D

I seriously need to do at least one winter in Canada in my lifetime hah.

Looks like there's zero chance of any snow around Christmas. It's double digits and I didn't even need a jacket today! :(

Except some of the Scottish highlands the Arpege model isn't showing any snow Christmas day and that is usually accurate. GEFS is showing the not unusual plunge in temperatures from boxing day into new year which for some reason seems to happen quite often - but a lot of inconsistency from there with good potential to become mild and wet for early Jan.

Soldato
It has just started snowing in Swindon. ATM not settling but there's another 3 - 4 hours forecast to fall and I don't finish nights until just before 0700. Hopefully the main roads are gritted so if it does start to accumulate should be okay driving home at least up until the estate side roads.

Then it will either be shanks pony or bus tonight as I hate driving on the white stuff. Not so much dealing with the adhesion just all the clueless idiots who think they can drive like it's a normal day and slam their brakes on/manoeuvre at the last minute.

Man of Honour
Briefly got quite cold around 3am here (mid Somerset) and was accumulating on the top of cars though it was mostly rain and now its pretty much all rain and a touch warmer though there is still the thinnest most pathetic dusting on the tops of cars.

Looks like most places are going to get some kind of sleety/damp snow muck over the next few hours but mostly its too warm to be much more than that.

Soldato
Starting to think I took the extreme studded tyres off my fatbike a little early, quite chilly in Southampton today, we even had some snow fall before daybreak and the big tree opposite lost a chunky side branch in the gusty wind! :eek:

Man of Honour
Looks like some limited areas in northern England and southern Scotland will get very heavy snow Friday - in some cases around 7cm an hour.

ajf

ajf

Soldato
Had to smile when last nights snow was headlining the BBC with cars skidding in a bit of heavy slush (mostly), when in Erie in USA they’ve had 60 inches in 2 days!:eek::eek:
I know that’s extreme but what a difference.

Soldato
Had to smile when last nights snow was headlining the BBC with cars skidding in a bit of heavy slush (mostly), when in Erie in USA they’ve had 60 inches in 2 days!:eek::eek:
I know that’s extreme but what a difference.

Places that get snow regular can cope with it, places that don't can't.

ajf

ajf

Soldato
Oh, absolutely, and I have to say having been out today it was not pleasant on some roads.
Not quite as slickly managed this time as when we had loads two weeks ago.

Still, 60 inches of snow. Wow. That’s more than my height. Yep, I am a titch :p

Soldato
Oh, absolutely, and I have to say having been out today it was not pleasant on some roads.
Not quite as slickly managed this time as when we had loads two weeks ago.

Still, 60 inches of snow. Wow. That’s more than my height. Yep, I am a titch :p
Would love to have proper snow once just for a week.

ajf

ajf

Soldato
It would be interesting, and at least with that sort of amount you’re not sat wondering if you should have gone to work!
It really would be a matter of just sit it out and chill - literally as it mentioned wind chill down to -25c!
I could manage without that part....

Caporegime
Put a windproof later on and it helps a lot. Presumably it was just into double digits in real temperature?

Four foot of snow in a couple of days would be fantastic. You need to live next to a big body of water on a cold continent for that though :(.

Caporegime
Today’s high is going to be a “barmy” -25c (or -31 with wind chill).

Think I will be wearing long johns under my jeans to work tomorrow. My legs were sore walking to the train station yesterday morning. :D

Caporegime
It warmed up for some snow here again this morning, few cm. Just enough to make everything look nice and clean again.

4 days of snow in a row forecast now... Will be fine in town but hellish out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom