Winter 2017/2018 - Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
A lot of stories of medical staff walking miles to their work, of carers doing the same so as not to leave their vulnerable patients in difficulties. We had stories of ordinary folk using their 4 x 4 vehicles to run errands, collect needed prescriptions, transporting medical staff to hospitals and carers to their charges. Local residents taking hot drinks and food to trapped drivers, others taking vulnerable people from cars into their homes.
And many other instances where ordinary people did stuff that I for one had thought long gone. Fantastic to see that the Great British spirit is alive and well.

What a pity that in some cases, my council for instance had a different approach and chose to cite health and safety and pretty much bunkered down and left the city to get on with it telling their staff on social media to stay at home. I have known far worse snow than this yet main roads remained open and buses ran. This time the city pretty much shut down for two days.

Soldato
In my day when we were snowed in all unemployed had to turn up at council yards and they went out clearing snow which was tipped in nearest river - Elf and safety has taken over.

Also makes me smile reading headlines like "delivery drive delivers parcel in blizzard" - Well excuse me - we were expected to work whatever the conditions - I worked outside.

Man of Honour
Yeah we've plenty of milk here but bread totally out in my town, the villages are out of both and the next town over has no milk and only a little bread. Fortunately I took the precaution of adding a bit extra to my shops leading upto this so I'll be OK until things are back to normal but a lot of people on Facebook in consternation about it as they've run out :s

Soldato
Yeah we've plenty of milk here but bread totally out in my town, the villages are out of both and the next town over has no milk and only a little bread. Fortunately I took the precaution of adding a bit extra to my shops leading upto this so I'll be OK until things are back to normal but a lot of people on Facebook in consternation about it as they've run out :s
if everyone had a little extra stored up.

Man of Honour
Thames Water urging people to use as little water as possible now due to all the leaks from the weather.

The postcode next to ours has no water (it's literally across the road) so I'm off to stock up.

Soldato
I wonder what people would do if there was an actual interruption to the food supply.

Well immediately upon finding out 95% of the population would panic buy, so those of us who would need a couple of extras to make sure they would get by would have to go without.

The ones who have panic bought will probably end up realising they don't like what they bought and it will sit unused and uneaten until they are starving or the crisis is over.

And all this fuss over bread and milk too, I dont get it. Is that all some people eat/drink?

Man of Honour
And all this fuss over bread and milk too, I dont get it. Is that all some people eat/drink?

Dunno - I'm quite surprised how many people were down to odds and ends by the time they could shop again - one of my colleagues was down to cereal, beer and nothing else.

Soldato
Reports of empty shelves and 'panic buying' last week
Why do they call it panic buying when it is invariably nothing of the sort for the most part?
It is greedy inconsiderate people being taken in by the over the top reporting on TV and in the papers of impending destruction of civilisation by snow and buying more than they need and can possibly use.

Soldato
*shrugs*... I knew it was coming... went out on Thursday morning to Sainsbury's... shelves fully stocked, not many people about... did my normal shop to make sure I'd have ~1 weeks worth of my usual food... job done...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom