Winter sports thread 24/25

Associate
Couldn't find a thread on the topic so though I'd post one.

Post your winter sports plans - snowboarding / skiing / expeditions all welcome.

Then come back after and share your photos!

We've just booked snowboarding in Geilo, Norway for over xmas.

Havsdalsgrenda Self catering apartments with pool onsite - really looking forward to it after doing Lindvallen, Sweden in 2022 and Ruka, Finland in 2019. Love the nordic countries for winter sports - I've been to Norway snowboarding before but this is the first time we're going as a family (me, wife, 17yr old son, 16 yr old son and 14 yr old dughter). Possibly our last holiday all together for a while as eldest is joining the Marines in June.

Last edited:
I've gone with Crystal Ski for Norway (and did with Ruka as well). I went with Ski Safari for Lindvallen.

I don't book ski rental / passes with Crystal Ski as they are a rip off for that - I just book direct with the resort.

Just check Obergurgl resort for snow surety during christmas - it's not uncommon for southern European resorts to be barren of snow at xmas which is why we go to the Nordic countries (and tbh I don't vibe with SE resorts anyway).

Last edited:
Yes - all the places I've been (Ruka, Finland - Lindvallen, Sweden) have excellent restaurants and it looks like Geilo has a good selection too. We always book a restaurant for Christmas day.

Can't really comment on bars as I don't drink but Scandic countries are notoriously expensive for alcohol (although a friend we were with stated it didn't seem much more expensive than then the Alps) but these countries have generally a quieter after ski scene - unless you go to Trysil, Norway in the college/uni Easter break! Trysil is next on our list - hopefully xmas 2026.

Last edited:
Heading to Geilo in February half term! Haven’t been since my 13th birthday and will be celebrating my 40th there :D

Can’t wait!! Staying half board at Vestlia resort so hopefully will be well looked after! Looking forward to the train from Bergen to Geilo!

I had always associated Norway with super expensive ski holidays when compared to the French Alps, but France has become really extortionate it seems. Have also experienced the ropier end of the accommodation in various French resorts and would rush to take the family to those. Norway is surprisingly good value which suits us!

We're booked into the Vestlia restaurant for xmas dinner :-)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom