Wired over ear headphone recommendations

Soldato
I really enjoy the sound quality of my on ear momentums but they just aren't comfortable for long gaming sessions :(

I'm looking for a pair of over ear headphones with comfort, sound quality and also build quality in mind. I prefer a more minimalistic style. Prepared to pay as much as £200 for the right pair but preferably less.

I picked up a pair of bang & olafsen h6 v2's on clearance in a john Lewis sale for £150, but they were faulty on testing :(

Note: I'm using the headphone output on a sound blaster z if that makes any difference.

Any recommendations?

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Thanks a lot for the insight :) Plenty of food for thought :)

We do keep the doors to the rooms open as we have a cat that likes to roam and if he comes across a closed door, he tends to claw at it.

So maybe closed back would be best. As you said, women :p

Although I tend not to have the volume cranked too high anyway.

Looking at the AKG's and Beyers. Both look decent options.

Edit: I like the look of the AKG 550's in particular. It seems the mk2 versions can be had quite a bit cheaper. Is there any reason to pay more for the MK3?

Edit again: Actually, I see richer sounds have the mk3's for £149 which seems a decent deal

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Also looking at the dt770's which are a bit cheaper at about £100.

Which are more comfortable? Have better build quality out of the dt770 and k550?

I notice that the k550 have no padding on the band which could be uncomfortable for long periods.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Then again with closed headphones cat might have to jump on keyboard or do something like that when you don't give him/her attention because of not hearing external sounds.:p

Anyway if keyboard sounds aren't problem then sound leak from open headphones isn't problem.
Would have to be more than little hearing dangerous volume for sound leak to exceed noise of typical keyboard.

Oh he certainly knows how to get my attention alright :p

I don't think sound leakage would be a problem, so I definitely wouldn't rule out open back headphones if the right pair were avay for a good price.

I'm waiting for a bit more spare cash before buying anyway. Been an expensive month. Finally paid off my mortgage, then a deal on a 500gb mx500 SSD came up that I couldn't resist :p

Soldato
OP
I'm kind of leaning towards the dt990 pro's at the moment. But I understand they are 250 ohm. Will my soundblaster z headphone amp be up to the job of powering them?

Or should I just get the 32 or 80 ohm dt770's?

Soldato
OP
There is just too many different headphones out there :p

Every time I think I have settled on something, something else catches my eye.

I'm going to keep reading reviews and researching for now I think.

I do like my on ear momentums sound wise, so I haven't ruled out the over ear version.

I like the look of the Bowers P7's but obviously more expensive and can't seem to find them for sale :(

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom