Wireless adaptor not working? Please help.

Associate
I received a HP laptop last xmas and recently the wireless card has not been working. There is a switch on the front for the wireless which turns from orange to blue when turned on. But now this does not work, and when I go into network settings it does not show any wireless networks and says that I do not have a wireless card.

Edit: sometimes if im on my laptop for a long time it will then automatically turn blue and work wireless.

Does anyone have any idea what this is? I have about 2 weeks until the guarantee runs out.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Soldato
Go into Device Manager > Right click the wireless adapter (Broadcom I think it was) > Properties > Advanced > Go to the Location option in the Property box > Change it to United Kingdom. It'll probably be set to Antigua/Barbuda or something like that.

Had loads of issues at work last Christmas... must have been a bad batch.

Associate
OP
This hasn't worked as it does not show the Broadcom in the list. I have downloaded drivers and installed them but no change. Sometimes when I leave my laptop on long enough the card works, but has not done this lately. Does anyone else have any ideas? My warrenty ran out today and forgot to take the laptop in, will try tomorrow if no one has any ideas. Thanks

Associate
let me guess its a hp laptop with an AMD cpu, probably a dv2 or dv9 or f series.

its will need a new mobo, luckily hp have extended the warranty on them to 2 years, check hps website.

Associate
yeah the hp site only mentions warranty extensions to dv9 dv6 dv2 and v6000 laptops, these are similar to yours

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?lc=en&cc=uk&docname=c01087194&dlc=en

The notebook does not detect wireless networks and the wireless adapter is not detected in the Device Manager

yours will need a new mobo though to fix the issue as your are still in guaruntee call them to get it sorted they might get you to update to the latest bios but it wont help in this instance.

Soldato
Is it XP? Have you updated it to SP3 - if so many older wireless adaptors don't work - I have 2 that worked on SP2 but don't work on SP3 ?
Mel

Back
Top Bottom