Wireless on the Imac, Crap?

Soldato
Hey i have a Core Duo 2ghz 20' Imac and a Netgear 108mps Router and the internet is basicaly Crap. It is running at 11mps with 2 bars of signal and low strength the fastest it downloads at is 30kb/s bearing in mine im used to 600kb-1200kb (10mb).

Now my Laptop has a cheap ass pcmia Card in and has a low signal in my room but still manages 300kb/sec so would you reccomend a new router or is the Imac wireless just poo and i should invest in a USB wireless card? Thnx

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

Depends on how you've got the iMac positioned.

Personally I never had a problem receiving signal 3 floors up on the built-in wireless so I would be tempted to fiddle with the router.

Try repositioning the aerial and see if the results change?

Sounds like your room is a typical deadspot.. so you might wanna calm down and stop blaming the iMac lol - do you have thick walls (stone?)? or are you assuming a 108kbps router will "throw" the signal further just because it's "faster" than a normal 54kbps router?

Soldato
OP
EVH said:
Depends on how you've got the iMac positioned.

Personally I never had a problem receiving signal 3 floors up on the built-in wireless so I would be tempted to fiddle with the router.

Try repositioning the aerial and see if the results change?

Sounds like your room is a typical deadspot.. so you might wanna calm down and stop blaming the iMac lol - do you have thick walls (stone?)? or are you assuming a 108kbps router will "throw" the signal further just because it's "faster" than a normal 54kbps router?

Laptop = 300kb/sec
Imac = 30kb Sec

10 x differnce in download speeds from the same room is what is making me blame the imac.

Associate
I used to have a 108mb Netgear wireless router .... awful, truely awful. I ditched it a good few months ago now and have a Zyxel wired router now that i use for my desktops and a smaller Netgear WAP coming off that for the MacBook and iBook we have in the house, absolutely no problems with that setup what so ever.

Before with just the Netgear router it would need restarting every 24hr's and drop the signal ever 15-20mins, utterly hopeless, i'll never buy a Netgear product again. (i'm only using the Netgear WAP at the moment because i had it lying around in the loft and needed wireless)

Back
Top Bottom