Wiring home for LAN

Associate
I live in a 4 bedroom house. The FTTP comes in in the living room. Currently I run a cat5e to an unmanaged network switch under the TV and have everything there such as consoles wired into it. My PC is upstairs and I'm currently using a TP link extender and have my PC wired into this.

I'm thinking to get to networking installed and wondered what I would need? I know cat6 cable, but what else? Cable from router to a network switch in the attic and then to various rooms? Manged or unmanaged switch? I really have no idea about networking?

Currently there is a port behind the TV and network cable that runs up to the attic and down to another bedroom. I don't know what the cable is or if it works.

I could try and replace this with cat6 (I'm guessing it wont be already) and reroute it to my office? I have a CCTV system I want cable running for, so could get this done at the same time.

Last edited:
I live in a 4 bedroom house. The FTTP comes in in the living room. Currently I run a cat5e to an unmanaged network switch under the TV and have everything there such as consoles wired into it. My PC is upstairs and I'm currently using a TP link extender and have my PC wired into this.

I'm thinking to get to networking installed and wondered what I would need? I know cat6 cable, but what else? Cable from router to a network switch in the attic and then to various rooms?
Work out how many devices need wired points in each room and then run points for them, or a switch in each room (e.g. like your TV unit where there are lots of devices).

If a room only needs 1 network point, run 2 cables anyway and put in a double socket (cable is relatively cheap vs time/labour cost)

Ideally you'd run all the cables to a single central point (attic is ok, unless you have anywhere else for a dedicated I.T. area), where you'd terminate them in a patch panel, and would normally have a large e.g. 24 port switch situated there.

Cat6 is fine - it's good for 10Gbps at the distances you'd typically find in a home environment - Cat6A is more of a pain to work with.

Cat5e is also fine for most things (it will do 2.5Gb and depending on length/installation quality 5Gb and sometimes 10Gb) especially if you are buying outdoor cable for CCTV etc that don't use much bandwidth - can be a not insubstantial saving over Cat6.

Manged or unmanaged switch? I really have no idea about networking?
Unmanaged switches are fine for 95% of people's home use. Only reason for anything different i.e. Managed is if you want to VLAN (separate off) traffic e.g. guest Wifi, or to isolate IoT (internet of things) devices.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom