Wiring up lights help

Associate
Hey i have a problem which could do with some help. :)

Trying to put in a new light, but didnt think to look at the wiring of the old light when i took it off.

Light has L,N,G all good so far. Place i fitting new light has 6 (yes 6) wires from what i can tell 2xL, 2xN, 2xG. 3 of thesei think are comming from the switch, and 3 carry on i presume in a loop maby to ring as there is no other switches for this light.

So i wired it up with all the wires going into the corresponding holes (2 into each of the 3 places on the light) poped the fuse back in and they looked great, turned the switch off and the fuse blew. :confused:

Dose anyone know why this would be? or how it should be wired to make it not blow when i turn the light off?

cheers :)

RJC

RJC

Don
Did you wire the switched live to neutral (usualy black with red tape) by mistake, just a thought.

Rob

Soldato
TheCrow said:
may have done, i have 2 red, 2 black and 2 green/yellow sheaths. should one of these blacks be live?

yes, it'll be a switchable live, when you turn the switch on, it becomes live

IIRC

Associate
OP
would that account for it only blowing when i turn it off? and it workign when turned on?

also (sorry im confusing myself here) will that mean i have 3 live, 1 neutral and 2 earth? or will one of the one two reds be a neutral?

RJC

RJC

Don
Do you have a multimeter so you can bell out which cable goes to the light switch!.

You should have live and neutral coming from the fuse board, the red wire then connects to the red going to the light switch, when you turn the light switch on the neutral (black) comes the switchable live, this should have a red sheath to indicate this.

The black cable with red sheath should connect to the live wire on your light fitting, then the neutral connects to the all black cable coming from the fuse board to complete the circuit.

Rob

Associate
LOL, ALL THE REDS TOGETHER AND ALL THE BLACKS TOGETHER AND BANG!!,

you would be suprised how many houses iv been to that have had that problem, my advice as a sparks is, you havent got a clue what your doing pay for some one who knows what they are doing (a Electrician).

Associate
Dave said:
Just not Milwall FC, as he'll charge a fortune. Get a lady electrician to do it instead :p

iv worked with a lady apprentice and christ she was useless i mean it even looks wise :(

here you go ;) cus i felt like a **** in my last post :)

134469147d8d9d9c.jpg

my paint skills arnt the greatest this picture is assuming if i under stood you correct as the last light on the circuit.

Associate
OP
Thanks for the help,

think will get some one in to show me exactly how it all works (hands on) incase i come across this again.

But should be able to get it fixed from your pic, thanks :D

Associate
OP
Millwall.FC - on your pic you have L live and N ? also there seems to be a few too many wires for what i have. edit: just relised its l loop and n.

just to keep up with your skills i thought id add my own.

84cbf5f3.jpg

could you complete this diagram for me?

edit: bottom black wire should have its red tape on it. also the "E" is an earth point on the backing plate bit.

Last edited:
Associate
TheCrow said:
Millwall.FC - on your pic you have L live and N ? also there seems to be a few too many wires for what i have.

just to keep up with your skills i thought id add my own.

84cbf5f3.jpg

could you complete this diagram for me?

you said 6 cables 2x red 2x black xEARTH, ground is for americans!! lol

you should have 2 T&E's (twin and earth cable) one is your supply 3 x cables red black and earth, and one is your switch line red, black, earth,

all you have to do is identifiy the cable that is the feed and that t&e cable will be your supply the other t&e will be the s/l you should easily be able to do it if you can identify your supply.

the loop would have another t&e carry a feed to a light in another room, the light point your working on is the end of the circuit so it makes it easier for you too complete

Last edited:
Permabanned
untitledlv6.png

the CPC (aka Earth) (YELLOW+GREEN) all connect to the E terminal and i'm assuming the middle terminal is the loop on the 3-plate ceiling rose

+ You should place BROWN sleeving on the switch live (black cable) in the ceiling rose and 1-way switch to id it as live/phase, plus earth sleeving on the CPC in the switch & ceiling rose.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Cheers! Ye the fuse has been pulled out, but it makes a really loud bang when you throw the switch and youve got it wrong! I changed my pants after that :p

Associate
TheCrow said:
Cheers! Ye the fuse has been pulled out, but it makes a really loud bang when you throw the switch and youve got it wrong! I changed my pants after that :p

lol iv shorted my voltage tester across two phases before (415v) needless to say that was the last time i used that :| ,

swap the t&e's arround and it should work if you've followed the diagram, did you take a pendant down?? you could use that to identify the supply cable.

conect it to one of the t&e's if it works thats the supply cable if it dosent then its the switchline cable.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom