Without wanting to sound ignorant..

Associate
Are sounds cards worth it compared to onboard sound on a modern mobo? (say asus P8P67)

I brought a new amp and speakers today and wondering if its worth spending ~£100 on a Sound card for a 2 speaker setup (Mission mx3's) used for music, gaming and the odd film.

Thanks.

Associate
OP
Thanks for the responses guys, Confused me a bit (but thats not hard lol)

Amp is Yamaha A-S500, I've googled but cant see if it has DAC on it? :/

On the receipt the cables (speaker) total was £85, Cambridge ultra 100 (silver) for high freq and Cambridge symphony 400 (copper) for low freq connections, bi-wired. (all 2.5mm)

I think ill keep these cables as to me, it sounds awesome :D

Definitly gonna buy a Optical cable, Saw 1 at £20, looks decent enough.

Should I get a sound card? If yes could you recommend me a couple, I've been looking at this: Asus Xonar D2X 7.1 PCI-E Sound Card

Thanks

Associate
OP
as500%20x%203%20large.jpg

Back of the amp, I'm not 100% what a SPDIF connection looks like, Can you see 1?

I didnt pay £85 for the cables, They were free. I told guy in richer sounds I had £600 and wanted the mx3's at £350 and as-500 amp at £250 so he put the cables to 0.00 but they should have been £85.

e2a: What is that connection under the Dock? (sorry for noobyness)

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Ahh I see now, Thanks mrk :)

How do you rate your Asus Xonar STX?
Also, How does RCA<>RCA compare to 3.5mm<>RCA? Is there a noticable difference in quality?

Associate
OP
Thanks for info lads, Nicely priced that cable is thanks joey I will order 1.

I am contemplating ordering the Asus Xonar DX and think for £50 its a bargain if the sound quality improves, Even if only slightly.

Cheers

Back
Top Bottom