Woo-hoo, clocks go back this weekend

Commissario
We'll be back on GMT (UTC, Z, etc) again this weekend.

We invented time, we invented Greenwich, we invented longitude and we invented clocks*

BST can do one, we'll be back to proper time again.

2xn5tY6.jpeg

*some of this may not be entirely factual

Associate
I'm a little scared to admit it but not a fan of the clocks going back...even wrote to my MP to ask him to speak up about it (no luck there btw...). Would much prefer lighter evenings.

Man of Honour
Feek banging on about BST again. Quelle surprise.

Can’t see what his problem is with it.

For those that work in industries/have hobbies that rely on international standards (defence, aviation and radio in my personal experience), it is a bit of a pain having to do a +1 in time difference calculations. Not that it makes it overly complex, but the minimal complexity it adds is pointless. In all my workplaces we have recorded things by a mixture of UTC and local, depending on the job and which organisation "owns" the process, and as a result have to constantly double check for errors as people just can't easily seem to differentiate between local and UTC. We actually have separate local and UTC clocks on the wall to help people not make such a simple, but costly mistake. It still happens anyway.

Commissario
OP
Feek banging on about BST again. Quelle surprise.
Oh look, the bi-annual 'feek telling us he doesn't like BST' time. :D
It's good to be predictable ;)

For those that work in industries/have hobbies that rely on international standards (defence, aviation and radio in my personal experience), it is a bit of a pain having to do a +1 in time difference calculations. Not that it makes it overly complex, but the minimal complexity it adds is pointless. In all my workplaces we have recorded things by a mixture of UTC and local, depending on the job and which organisation "owns" the process, and as a result have to constantly double check for errors as people just can't easily seem to differentiate between local and UTC. We actually have separate local and UTC clocks on the wall to help people not make such a simple, but costly mistake. It still happens anyway.
Bingo! @Zefan has actually got it. It's really all about this for me. It's no secret that I'm into radio and everything is logged in GMT (UTC etc). People still don't get it - Everything should be done in GMT but very often things get missed simply because people just spurt the words 'GMT' when the don't really know what they're talking about.

Apart from that, it's businesses as well. I've seen stuff on websites/social media saying "Hey, our sale starts at 08:00 GMT" or "The presentation will be at 10:30 GMT" etc but you turn up/tune in at the time they've stated to discover you're an hour late.

Far too many idiots assume our local time is always GMT and quote it.

Soldato
Even the concept of GMT/National time is a relatively recent thing. It was the needs of the railways that forced the creation of a national time zone corrected to Greenwich time. Before then Local time was just that, Midday was when the Sun was overhead and that was that.

Back
Top Bottom