Wood Staining Ikea Furniture

Soldato
Wonder if anyone can answer this.. I currently have a couple of Ikea bits of furniture in the living room. Besta stuff for my AV gear and an unknown unit and floating shelf of a different style but looks definitely like Ikea stuff(BTW these were in the house when I moved in. Anyway... My AV Units are the Black/Brown colour and these are a beach colour, I was thinking of painting them but struggling to find a really dark brown/black paint. So I thought it would be better to stain them. It looks like they are both some sort of thick fibreboard with a wood veneer. So do I just get some really dark wood stain and stick it on? will it penetrate or will I have to sand it? It looks like it has a smooth finish but doesn't look like its varnished.

Any help would be appreciated.

If it's anything like the beefch effect desk I had its probably just some form of dyedbplasric veneer. My desk where I used my mouse wore thru the top finish to provide me with a white plastic patch lol

Isn't all Ikea furniture just laminate? i.e. a photo of wood?

Staining (unless it is real wood) will not work at all. We have a next TV unit and I am thinking of rubbing down and giving it a few coats of paint. Have you just thought about painting all furniture a total different colour?

It would be very difficult to match them - the floating shelves are dirt cheap, i would just replace that (will be cheaper than materials to try and strip/paint or stain the old one)

I am not really sure.. It is laminate but I am pretty certain that it has the wood veneer as it isn't like the cheapo Lack range which is just cardboard with sticker over it...

These 2 bits are not in the way so wont really be that noticeable if not perfectly matched...

I have found this guide and might give it a go... https://mavenofthehouse.wordpress.com/2012/10/26/ikea-hack-staining-our-furniture-black-brown/

the guide is for a real wood chopping block, it won't be the same process for trying it with a veneer - I wouldn't be too sure that the thickness of veneer will be any different through the ranges either...

here's a guide where the wifey says she can't get the veneer to absorb the stain after sanding and ends up with a gash looking tv unit! https://landingpadblog.wordpress.com/2013/07/29/staining-ikea-veneer-furniture/

some of the ikea ranges certainly have real wood veneers; malm does for example, not sure about Besta though - I'm going there tonight s will have a quick look. if you can figure out what the other unit you have is I'll have a look for that too.

this video:

is well worth a watch if you're planning on doing any staining. the reason why that landingpad blog post looks so utterly terrible is explained in this video (they actually use the same stain!)

Back
Top Bottom