Wordpress backup

Associate
Hi,

I have been working for months on a big ecommerce site using Wordpress and Woocommerce, I have been making backups using "Wordpress backup to Dropbox" plugin as well as "BackUpWordPress", but stupidly I never tested these out when first starting the website. I back up with these everyday without knowing if they will work, should I ever need them. Does anyone use these? Also if anyone has any better backup solutions I would like to know.

Associate
I've not had any experience with those backup plugins, but you could also be doing a full site file backup, aswell a regular MySQL database backup, to make sure nothing's missed.

Jim

Associate
OP
Thanks, sorry forgot to mention.

I do also do the following weekly:

-Drop and drag everything from the websites root directory in FTP to a local drive.

-In cPanel X run a full website backup (includes Home Directory, MySQL DB's, Email configs) this zip file goes to the server home and then I download it to local system.

I don't even know where I would start if I wanted to restore using the cPanel backup.

Soldato
I use BackUpWordPress and I've had to use it once when I felt I was going around in circles with a theme update.

Once a backup is run (manually or scheduled) the entire site is zipped up and the database added to the zip file too.

Should you need to restore a backup to the same server

1) download the backup .zip file.
2) using an FTP client or the cPanel interface, delete the files of the site
3) upload the .zip file using an FTP client or the cPanel interface
4) extract the .zip file using the cPanel File Manager
5) on your PC, extract the database_sitename.sql file
6) using phpMyAdmin, select the database, then drop the *contents* of that database, not the database itself
7) still in phpMyAdmin with the now empty database selected, go to import, choose the database_sitename.sql file and hit Go.
8) delete the .zip file you uploaded to the server and the database_sitename.sql file it will have unzipped

You should be able to log into your site as normal.

The cPanel backup should work in the similar way.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom