Wordpress- Bugged theme help/ advice

Soldato
I look after my father's small wordpress site (Fix it when he breaks it essentially)....

At the minute, he's stuck on 3.5.2, as anything later than that seems to break the media uploader when using his default theme.

I ran into a bug with the image slider plugin in use, which made me think again of upgrading the WP version.
I've had a brief look into the theme contents, and it appears to have started life as a very badly hacked about version of a paid theme of some description.
CSS and PHP code is all over the place, and there's all manner of junk.

Couple of queries from those who've done this sort of thing before:
  • Any tips on debugging the broken media uploader? It's something in the theme (Not plugins), but I've not really got any experience of PHP debugging; In C# I'd just stuff a breakpoint on the button click and start digging...
  • What would I (we) expect to pay as a ballpark figure in either cash or hours to either fix this, or start again & recreate from scratch?

The site is relatively secure, but I'll admit the old WP version makes me itchy....

-Leezer-

Soldato
OP
I'm well aware that it's insecure, although I've locked down everything I can find, and comments etc. are off :)
The theme is (according to him..) essential, so it's not likely to change, other than being re-created. IIRC the theme itself cost about £500 to be designed/ created, plus a couple of hundred more for the site.

Media uploader works OK with the default theme, so it's definitely something in the theme itself.
All I can really say is that clicking on the button doesn't do anything, so something isn't triggering somewhere.

OptionTree interfering somewhere would be my instinct, but this simply isn't my area of expertise for debugging, and it really doesn't help that the code is a mess which I don't understand fully...

Incidentally, don't talk to me about server error logs :(
Currently with Vidahost, and support here has totally gone from a few years ago, and the last foreigner I spoke to had no clue what a 403 error was, let alone how to access them....
(If the cloud hosting gives a list of 403's generated, I haven't found it. At least cPanel lets me see them if support are being useless)

-Leezer-

Soldato
OP
Oh I agree :p
If nothing else, it looks quite decent!

There is bespoke and bespoke, and whilst I don't know much about Wordpress, there's unused stuff littered around the theme (Large numbers of 'copy' and 'backup' files, most of the imageset of the original theme, not in use anywhere), unused plugins I really don't want to delete in case they've emebedded themselves into the DB and three different jQuery sliders.....

The 3.5.2 media uploader takes me to a new page.
I'll take a dig into the code on a backup of the site when I've got the time...

-Leezer-

Back
Top Bottom