Wordpress export

Associate
Just looking for a bit of advice as to what you do when someone stops getting hosting with you?
I created them a wordpress site and used vidahost for there hosting. Now they are wanting to host it on there on hosting.

What files do I need to give them?
I know I can export the theme do i give them a copy of the database or use WP export? whats the best way?

Soldato
Copy everything in the /wp-content directory. I'm 99% certain that contains everything that makes a personalised Wordpress.

All they should have to do is install the theme currently used their end then upload the wp-content files and they're good to go.

There is a plugin that does it but I can remember the name :(

Edit: pretty sure it's this one;

http://wordpress.org/plugins/duplicator/

And obviously the standard migration/wind down charges apply :D

Associate
OP
Thanks Mynight,

Just looked at the site and they have removed all traces of either made by me or Copyright me

Soldato
If money's changed hands then depending on the contract you gave up copyright.

I would suggest if your a small business and need the advertising to charge them for removing copyright. A simple copyright infringement letter would suffice.

(Assuming the wp theme is your work rather than a downloaded template).

Depends on how you view it. I give up copyright to my work once a contract has been paid in full as long as they pass my details on should people ask. I feel word of mouth is better than stating copyright on a site but there's pros and cons to each direction.

Associate
OP
Thanks,
To be honest they have butchered the site, changed the colors and that, wouldn't really be something that I would want to put my name to. When its transfered over I may use a local copy to restore it to its original version and take a screeny for my portfolio.

Soldato
You'll probably find they're changing the colors to try and avoid a copyright claim.

Hope you've got paid in full already.

Associate
OP
Yeah,
Got paid 2 years ago, just been hosting it for them since.
They now don't want hosting. Just emailed them the db and content folder.

OT do you prefere wp or joomla ?

Soldato
Honestly I prefer writing my own from scratch. From my very very limited experience joomla seems to be the more stable but it doesn't get as much interest as wp does so therefore less plugins and support available (not a huge amount but point still stands).

Wp does have much nicer templates from an ascetics perspective and is simpler just doesn't feel as powerful. That is however reflected in its difficulty of use.

However as said my experience is limited.

Last edited:
Soldato
I found Joomla a bit of a pain behind the scenes. This may have just been my site, but v1.5 was constantly complaining about the wrong time or time zone (presumably server side, but nothing else on the server complained, and apparently it was a frequent issue around that point).

When it came to backups it was a bit clunkier. Akeeba backup worked well for me, but with Wordpress you have a multitude of options, so if for whatever reason one doesn't work, there are many other options available.

Joomla was the more flexible in terms of what could be posted though. I haven't played with Joomla since v1.5.

Drupal is by far and away better than both, and can be flexible as you want, but it's not the easiest, and chances are at some point you'll need to dip into the code to patch something manually.

Wordpress is possibly the best all rounder, and certainly if you find a template that does exactly as you want... though the lack of a Google Calendar plugin still puzzles me - thankfully the iframe accepts a responsive width.

Back
Top Bottom