Wordpress host migration

Soldato
Needing to pick some brains here :)
I've acquired the task of migrating my father's Wordpress install from a cruddy 1&1 shared server to somewhere a little more reasonable which doesn't keep generating out of memory errors.

Standard enough Wordpress install on the root of the primary domain, with about 5 domains pointing to it, all of which will be moved also.
The *plan* is to setup a duplicate install with the new host, point a spare domain here first to test, and then finally migrate all the existing domains to the new DNS servers.

I've never really tried migrating other than Cpanel to Cpanel, so I'm trying to setup a test at my end first, installing in a subfolder of my host.
At the moment, I'm uploading everything, and then I'm planning to use the script linked from the Wordpress codex to do a find and replace for the temp location (Not doing that with the new install obviously), and then trying a few tweaks before the real thing.

Any thoughts pitfalls or better ideas on this cunning plan?
Doesn't seem difficult, but I'm sure I've overlooked something :)

-Leezer-

Soldato
OP
Cheers, that was what I was looking at :)
I now have the temporary install running with the domain changed, that was almost dangerously easy!

Hardest part of this so far was mailing the host to get switched to a MySQL5 server!

-Leezer-

Back
Top Bottom