Wordpress or Joomla for beginners - Where to learn?

Soldato
Hi folks,

Have decided this year I'd like to sit down and learn to use a CMS of some sort. Wordpress seems to be generally thought of as a bit more user friendly than Joomla (only from what I've quickly Googled online that is, feel free to disagree with that :cool: ) so I was wondering if anyone had any good links to free online sites and resources for a complete beginner to WP? I've a fairly good working knowledge of XHTML and CSS but other than that I've no other particular skills in this field.

Any advice appreciated. :)

Ok is this to learn how to do it yourself or just to make a website?

A mixture of both, really. :cool:

I've created a few static XHTML websites and now want to see how Wordpress does it, so I'll be learning along the way about how Wordpress works as well as trying to get to grips with themes and how to create a site with WP itself. That's the plan anyway. :D

I've got Softaculous in my server cPanel so I think the installation should be fairly straightforward. One question though, I've a couple of spare domains lying unused which are not registered with the same company I have my hosting with. I assume if I create an addon domain in my cPanel, install Wordpress to a directory within that addon domains folder and then nip over to 1 and 1 to point the domain at my hosting nameservers that everything should work ok?

No worries dpbadger. I tried dabbling with Joomla a while back and gave up deciding to concentrate on learning XHTML and CSS first which I think was the right choice. Have been dabbling on and off with Wordpress in a casual sort of way and not really getting anywhere but if truth be told I've not really made time to sit down properly with it yet.

Back
Top Bottom