WordPress wp-admin issue

Associate
This all revolves around moving a wordpress site that was developed on different hosting to a new host.

On the new host, created the domain, installed the latest version of WP and setup the username and password.

Uploaded the content via FTP, and imported the db from the previous host.

Used a URL plugin updater to correct the paths from the old hosting to resolve the hard coded URL issues.

The only issue left is wp-admin. I've managed to login twice but as soon as that session times out I can't get access again.

Re-setting the password in the hosting or trying via the wp-admin logon page all make no difference.

Googled this and there seem to be a lot of issues with the hard coded URLs but that is all fine now.

I'd be grateful if anyone can shed some light/provide a fix :)

Cheers WP noob

Soldato
Does it give an error or just do nothing when you try and log in?

Edit: probably be easier to see direct. Trust sent.

Last edited:
Associate
I wouldn't have installed the latest version of Wordpress and then moved your content and database over from another site. That could bring all sorts of complications.

- Copy the entire wordpress directory
- Upload it to your new host
- Export your database. Then open it up in a text editor and do a find and replace on the old site URL with the new URL.
- Import database to new host.
- Set up database user and password, add permissions to your database.
- Update wp-config with new database details.

Job done.

Moving a Wordpress site is no different than any other CMS. Apart from the absolute URLs in the database.

Back
Top Bottom