working... is it wrong that i dont want to work full time ?

Soldato
I have had the same thing recently. After slogging my heart out and being a total workaholic, some bad things happened in my personal life and it really made me evaluate what I wanted to do. I had a similar experience with people assuming that I want p/t work because i have kids or when finding out that I don't, asking me what was wrong that I didn't want to, or couldn't work full time. When I answered that it was just not something I wanted to do anymore, you'd have thought I grew two heads!

I now do some work from home and some out in the field (so to speak) but I'm not sorry I did it. My finances have suffered, and to be honest, I'm not really in a position to knock back any money, but my heads above water, my health has improved as has my outlook and over the last few months I have had time for me and what I want - and I feel really positive for the first time in ages. I do already have my own place though, so that's a big thing to consider.

If you can afford to do it, then do. I might go back full time if the urge takes me (and I'm moving into a field that I'd be happy to do that as I can work from home...)but I've finally realised that just cos most people do it, you don't have to.

Permabanned
locutus12 said:
the rats can race all they want to, i prefere to be a cat.

How so? I love my job, I earn money, allowing me to afford to go places and do things.

Without my job, I wouldn't be able to do half the stuff I do now, I wouldn't be able to afford to run car, let alone a holiday. I may be in the rat race but without it, my life would grind to a halt.

So how is a "cat's" life better? :)

Associate
iCraig said:
How so? I love my job, I earn money, allowing me to afford to go places and do things.

Without my job, I wouldn't be able to do half the stuff I do now, I wouldn't be able to afford to run car, let alone a holiday. I may be in the rat race but without it, my life would grind to a halt.

So how is a "cat's" life better? :)

I agree, maybe if u could find a job where u like the work, u may find it more bareable.

Mp4

Mp4

Soldato
I started working at Sainsburys when I was 16 (part time) while I studied at college for I.T Tech, finished 2004 and im (full time 39hours a week), and still working at Sainsburys almost 8years (July) it’s a comfort zone also cba to look for an I.T job but things will change this year as I have to get a car, flat. So I think it depends what life does that makes you change your habits and lifestyle.

Suspended
I've always been of the philosiphy that play is more important than work - but when work means something creative, something that I can stand back and admire and get an immense sense of satisfaction, then that's not work, that's something more important than play. I recently realised that those moments are my happiest, which is why I've decided to steer my career towards film and visual effects.

If you're happy and are not taking undue money from the taxpayer, you should to whatever the hell you like.

Permabanned
I can see why an agency would prefer you to be working full time - after all, they get an amount for every hour you work, so it cuts back on their income.

But I preferred to do 4 long shifts over 5 standard ones because of the free time when in that position, and like yourself, I work to live and not vice-versa.

Caporegime
locutus12 said:
Currently i work for a few different agencies doing work from finance to I.T to Admin depending on what i can get, just recently ive stated that i want to cut my hours back to between 20 and 30 hour and this has been greated by a look of abject horror on the faces of those agencies that keep me employed.

i dont understand why its so hard for people to comprehend the fact that i dont want to spend most of my waking hours working, im not a huge fan of money, i dont care for flashy objects and trinkets, i just want more time to spend at home and with my friends, maybe take up a college course ect.

i just get this feeling that these people think that if im not willing to give all of my free time in the persuit of money over hapiness and personal improvement then i must be some form of freak...

as if to say, how dare i not want a career...

Just get part time work behind a bar then?

Soldato
NokkonWud said:
Just get part time work behind a bar then?

I think what he's getting at is that unless you're willing to put in 30/40 hours a week, then the type of work you can do changes drastically, and people's attitudes change. If he's a lawyer, but fancies a reduction in hours does that mean he has to go and work in the local corner shop or the pub? It shouldn't do.

Just because you don't want to work full-time doesn't mean you're any less capable of the same work than you were when you worked 40 hours a week - but it's assumed that if you don't want to work full time you don't want any responsibility and are unable to cope with 'difficult' work, which is rubbish.

Soldato
Does anyone wonder why it is we have to work so much?

I think the system is quite flawed and needs a change, im not willing to work all my life just to make money so it can get put back into the system by needed and unneeded reasons.

Back
Top Bottom